Ford F150 SuperCab lacks add'l crash protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too thought that the F150 was constructed the same from the front seats forward. Agreed that Ford should offer the same safety features.

I hope Ford makes good on this. I really like the F-150 and the ext. cab would be the one I would buy if buying a new truck. I plan on keeping my Chebby for a long time, though.

Seems like these bars would be a fairly easy thing to roll into the manufacturing process on all configurations? On a vehicle as important as this, they should probably just shut up and make it happen.

That said, the most disturbing thing to me about the whole article is all that cardboard [censored] under the truck in this picture...
V2-150729843.jpg

Goodness. Looks like a freaking Fusion underneath. I know, I know, fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Too bad that this looks like nothing more than a $$$ decision by Ford.

That is a poor decision and one that should not have happened. I can't imagine the savings are that much to leave them out vs welding them on all that roll down the line.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

That said, the most disturbing thing to me about the whole article is all that cardboard [censored] under the truck in this picture...

Goodness. Looks like a freaking Fusion underneath. I know, I know, fuel economy.

I've been told it's also to quiet the noises that go along with direct injection. Namely the fuel pump and injectors. IIRC it was to keep the sound from bouncing off the ground.

Shameful. They are already losing market share and sales drop for the F150. This is going to be marketing gold for their competitors.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Shameful. They are already losing market share and sales drop for the F150. This is going to be marketing gold for their competitors.

That's assuming none of the others do something similar. If you go to the IIHS's website, Ford was the first pickup tested using the small overlap test. None of the competitors have been yet so I doubt they want to open that can of worms.

I also seriously wonder what would happen if you welded them in and then tested. Seems that all the extended cab pickups do poorly. I bet it has to do with the suicide doors and less structure in the cab and frame to absorb the impact forces.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
I bet it has to do with the suicide doors and less structure in the cab and frame to absorb the impact forces.

Ford still builds a truck with suicide doors? Wait...what decade is this?

It's obviously a bean counter choice. Poor one IMO.

It was also stated that the crash repairs were quite a bit higher for the aluminum body, yet Ford disputes that.

And hooray for all the underbody coverage. Not only does it quiet things down, but it aids aerodynamics as well.

I love the engineering in this vehicle, but I do not love the price or the unproven "advantages". Thank goodness for the early adopters. Hopefully my buddy's short cab is going to show up soon.

We will shake it down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back