Getting ready for an oil change in the twin cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
fbb80m.jpg

Nothing but the best!

lol The fusion gets 0/5w20 and is running like a champ with 92,xxx miles.

Last edited:
Racing oil is made for racing. Short interval. Like 1 race. It lacks proper detergent levels.
I suggest an oil made for an actual interval longer than a race.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Racing oil is made for racing. Short interval. Like 1 race. It lacks proper detergent levels.

If you look at the UOA's on here of VR1, you will see it has a good detergent package. Only the NSR "Not Street Legal" line of Valvoline racing oil is not suitable for street vehicles.

I run the same oil in my 103 Roadglide. Bought a couple cases when pep boys ran their 35% off sale awhile back. I have been running it for several years in different Harleys and it really quiets down the valvetrain noise. Also really like that cool blue in the synthetic version.

I noticed the synthetic bottle doesn't mention friction modifiers like the conventional does. I hope they're in there lol. The syn does have a lot more moly. I wonder what else is different and what are the base oils.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
fbb80m.jpg

Nothing but the best!

Sir,

may I congratulate you for your impeccable taste in motorcycles?
grin.gif

Please, let us know how VR1 treats you and your bike.

Robenstein, too much zinc!! Also seems thick for start-up. I would use for a break-in oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Finn
fbb80m.jpg

Nothing but the best!

Sir,

may I congratulate you for your impeccable taste in motorcycles?
grin.gif

Please, let us know how VR1 treats you and your bike.

Thank you Finn, I've been using it for two years. I've been using a mix of conventional and synthetic.

It treats the bike well by reducing friction and treats me well for the money saved can be spent on other goodies.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
I run the same oil in my 103 Roadglide. Bought a couple cases when pep boys ran their 35% off sale awhile back. I have been running it for several years in different Harleys and it really quiets down the valvetrain noise. Also really like that cool blue in the synthetic version.

I got mine at pep boys with 35% online discount code. Not as good as bogo but still a great deal. Not to concerned about the color. lol

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I remember you once posted that you wanted to try Vr1. Have you seen the great uoa's? The conventional is more popular, but I'm going to run straight synthetic version for at lest oil changes. Probably will get and post a uoa as my way of thanking the members and adding info.

Thank you Finn, I've been using it for two years. I've been using a mix of conventional and synthetic.

It treats the bike well by reducing friction and treats me well for the money saved can be spent on other goodies.

I was thinking of how the VR1 in your case withstands rather high temperatures of the Harley TC engine and whether you notice any negative symptoms with it?

How is the oil usage in general and especially if there is any difference in it towards the end of OCI?

The UOA's on here were in a hot running twin cam. It held up fine. Very robust oil.

And as for the 25w50 Pennzoil....it is a buttload of zinc, but not too much. It is about as packed as you can get before you run into trouble. We run it in our drag car and we have gone 4 seasons before needing a tear down before on it and have never blown the motor. Hellaciously good protection, but yes it is on the thick side for startup.

Last edited:

I was thinking of how the VR1 in your case withstands rather high temperatures of the Harley TC engine and whether you notice any negative symptoms with it?

How is the oil usage in general and especially if there is any difference in it towards the end of OCI?
I've been using the conventional oil for a few years. I'm coming to the end of a oci with 4k miles on it. I have used about 1/4 of a qt of makeup oil on this change. The motors sounds just as quiet as the day I put it in. I've read the UOA'S and that's what convinced me to use this reasonably priced oil over expensive boutique oils. 58k miles on the bike with no issues.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

I've been using the conventional oil for a few years. I'm coming to the end of a oci with 4k miles on it. I have used about 1/4 of a qt of makeup oil on this change. The motors sounds just as quiet as the day I put it in. I've read the UOA'S and that's what convinced me to use this reasonably priced oil over expensive boutique oils. 58k miles on the bike with no issues.,,

Yes 58,000 on bike but how many on vr1?

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Yes 58,000 on bike but how many on vr1?
Between 20-25k.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back