Looking to buy new wheels & tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everybody,

So my plan is to go down from 18 to 17 inch wheels on my 2013 Sonata. After living with 18 inch rims for 2 years now I can say it's the last time a buy a car with low profile wheels. The unforgiving winters leave the roads in such bad shape that I spend half of my commute worrying about losing a tire or rim.

I thought it was great when I bought the car but it really doesn't do much. Sure low profile wheels offer better handling but my car will never see the track, not to mention it's not even a sports car. My current tires have 20K miles on them, I plan to keep them another 20K and replace both the wheels and tires.

The OEM tire size is 225/45-18 , so I guess I would have to go down to 225/45-17, right?

-Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swift101
The OEM tire size is 225/45-18 , so I guess I would have to go down to 225/45-17, right?

Prob more like 225/50-17 to get a little more sidewall. Or a size that the more pedestrian models have.

edit: the limited model has 215/50-17's. The base model Sonata has 16 inch wheels.

Base model has 205/65-16 another option. You can get tires and wheels mounted and shipped from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.j...;autoModClar=SE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Prob more like 225/50-17 to get a little more sidewall. Or a size that the more pedestrian models have.

edit: the limited model has 215/50-17's. The base model Sonata has 16 inch wheels.

Base model has 205/65-16 another option. You can get tires and wheels mounted and shipped from tirerack.com

Good idea, I just don't want to give up too much on grip, I can easily break the tires loose now. I don't want traction control constantly stepping in.

Edit: Just saw what you were saying about tire track. 225/50R17 seems the way to go.

Would I be able to transfer the TPMS sensor I have on my wheels to the new ones?

Last edited:
225/50R17 is definitely the way to go if you want to maintain section width. The overall diameter is 0.11" smaller. If you went up to the next size, 225/55R17, the OD increases by .77", or 3%. Thats probably doable, but right at the edge.

Interestingly, the other option's OD according to satinsilver's post:

225/45R18: 25.97"
215/50R17: 25.46"
205/65R16: 26.49"

Interesting that the other trim levels have such widely varying ODs. I would almost consider 225/55R17 for additional sidewall height (26.74" OD).

Your TPMS sensors should move over just fine, you might need to pay for a seal kit when you do it, but they'll probably make you pay that even if you're just replacing tires.

Would I be able to transfer the TPMS sensor I have on my wheels to the new ones?

I would think so. Many tire shops will want to sell you a tpms rebuild kit but it seems to be pretty cheap.

-Thanks

Yeah, this movement to super low profile tires on family sedans these days is just retarded. It may work in the south where roads aren't full of winter potholes, but up north it's just a nuisance unless you're willing to get a second set of smaller wheels for winter, which is what I do on my 530i, but I realize not everyone wants to go that route.

As others mentioned, the correct minus one sizing for you would be 225/50/17. It's that '50' that will give you more comfort and more protection from potholes, but you still have to be careful. 225/50 is still a fairly low profile. You could probably do 225/55/17 as well if there is enough room in the wheel wells. Might want to check on some Sonata forum if this is something you can get away with without rubbing. This would give you even more pothole protection.

Good idea, I just don't want to give up too much on grip, I can easily break the tires loose now. I don't want traction control constantly stepping in.

Edit: Just saw what you were saying about tire track. 225/50R17 seems the way to go.

Circumference of 225/45-18 is 81.6", 225/50-17 is 81.2" about 0.4% smaller.

Yes, 225/50R17 is closest to original 225/45-18.

The skinnier tire will have better traction in the snow.

Another option.. I know it's leaning further from OEM sizes but if you're looking for some more pothole protection because 225/50 is still pretty low-pro how about a 235/50?

I realize it will set the speedo off more but it will give a little more cushion without going too far away. Also, 235/50R17 is one of the OEM new Fusion sizes.

Just another idea.

I realize that it would be additional hassle/cost but speedometers can be recalibrated. Not easily on later models I bet but just a thought. I hate to see people giving up what might be the correct-for-their-use tire option due to a calibration issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back