Serpentine Belt Change at 150K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the serpentine belt on my FX4 a while back and just now had the time to post photos of it. I have to say that belt/pulley technology has improved dramatically since the time that I started driving. Back in those days if one managed 50K on a v-belt it was an impressive feat and now over an 100K without breaking a sweat. I also replaced all three idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley at the same time (found MC branded pulleys and an MC belt on Amazon for a very reasonable price). With the exception of some light fraying on the edges at various locations, overall, the belt was in fantastic shape, had no cracking, and the ribs were still well defined.

zmNsEh.jpg

mQVuFE.jpg

EqG7gW.jpg

7HRpDC.jpg

Was it making any noise on start up? I had a 10.5 yr old/93k miles on the 05 Matrix and prob need to replace it soon. Esp before winter. I'll prob get a GY Gatorback. Plus the pulleys need to replaced.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Was it making any noise on start up? I had a 10.5 yr old/93k miles on the 05 Matrix and prob need to replace it soon. Esp before winter. I'll prob get a GY Gatorback. Plus the pulleys need to replaced.
No noise, I just changed all of it while I was changing the belt. It just "seemed" like the thing to do at 150K.

I have heard that with modern belt technology you can't tell if they are good or not by visual means. Not sure if true or not.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I have heard that with modern belt technology you can't tell if they are good or not by visual means. Not sure if true or not.
It could be true and since there is only 1 belt these days I thought it prudent--less one becomes stranded in the midst of Cattle Gap. I was going to change it at 100K (belt only), but others said let it spin for a while longer.

I'll tell you what, I just replaced both belts (serpentine and AC belts) on my wife's Subie. Their OEM belts are JUNK!!

The AC belt was split right down the middle for 6-7". The serpentine belt was looking beat as well. I put on some Gates.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'll tell you what, I just replaced both belts (serpentine and AC belts) on my wife's Subie. Their OEM belts are JUNK!! The AC belt was split right down the middle for 6-7". The serpentine belt was looking beat as well. I put on some Gates.
Ouch! I was told that MC belts are made by Gates so if true, they do make some good ones.

As the one you took off was still useable.
Keep it inside your vehicle if it's ever needed.

I have an 'old' spare with the tools needed to change it inside my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I believe this is correct. I think the modern serp belts wear down like tires with the grooves getting shallower and shallower.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'll tell you what, I just replaced both belts (serpentine and AC belts) on my wife's Subie. Their OEM belts are JUNK!! The AC belt was split right down the middle for 6-7". The serpentine belt was looking beat as well. I put on some Gates.
Ouch! I was told that MC belts are made by Gates so if true, they do make some good ones.

Ford does not tell us our vendors, however I just sent a tensioner and remnants of 2 belts back to Gates for warranty inspection.

You should also change the idler pulley and tensioner with the belt as a whole system. Gates sells drive belt kits for complete accessory drive belt replacement for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
You should also change the idler pulley and tensioner with the belt as a whole system. Gates sells drive belt kits for complete accessory drive belt replacement for peace of mind.

I did:

I also replaced all three idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley at the same time (found MC branded pulleys and an MC belt on Amazon for a very reasonable price).

I usually do it at 100k, theyre usually pretty well spanked by then. I buy Goodyear Gatorbacks. Your MC does look pretty nice!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Location, location, location. Where exactly do you live?
Houston

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
No noise, I just changed all of it while I was changing the belt. It just "seemed" like the thing to do at 150K.

I was reading a new, 2014 IIRC, F150 Owner's manual and it called for serpentine belt change at 150k.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Location, location, location. Where exactly do you live?
Houston

That explains a great deal.

I'm used to seeing 30,000-50,000 miles from a belt that is exposed to road salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back