An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

That's the point. People (hypocrites) don't think about the process that allowed that burger to arrive on their plate, those McNuggets to arrive in that bag, those sausages to be on the shelf at the butcher, that ham they have in the fridge....etc. But that guy down the road that HUNTS!!!?? Sweet Lord Baby Jesus, he's the bloody DEVIL!! He KILLS DEER!!!

I don't think Palmer is just the guy down the road hunting overpopulated, completely non-endangered deer. He may have just been an ignorant participant, but apparently he has been in trouble for lying to a game warden before. And it seems unlikely everyone in this hunting party was just oblivious to the fact this lion was a protected animal that was part of a study. And more importantly, that this animal was used to interacting with people and to an extent probably trusted people.

*snip*

Just so we are clear, ALL of my posts in this thread when hunting is being discussed are regarding animals that will be consumed for food. I am not a fan of trophy hunting and I made that clear on the first page.

I am NOT supportive of Palmer or what he has done.

There are two different conversations going on in this thread about hunting, one is about trophy hunting, the other is about more traditional game hunting for fowl, deer, moose, bear...etc, where the animal is consumed. I am opposed to trophy hunting, as it serves no real purpose but am a fan of regulated game hunts as it works to keep population numbers in check and provides (delicious) food as well.

You do understand unless they are poaching the hunting is regulated be the guy hunting purely for meat or the hunter hunting for a trophy I also would argue most hunters hunting for a trophy in general are better sportsman and conservationists. Most meat hunters if not all have the attitude in the case of a Whitetail it's brown it's down they don't care one bit size,age or it's potential the just care we have tags we fill it I have seen plenty of small sized dogs in back of trucks that make u sick and you know what the DNR loves these guys cause they just thin the herd they care less on quilit of deer.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

That's the point. People (hypocrites) don't think about the process that allowed that burger to arrive on their plate, those McNuggets to arrive in that bag, those sausages to be on the shelf at the butcher, that ham they have in the fridge....etc. But that guy down the road that HUNTS!!!?? Sweet Lord Baby Jesus, he's the bloody DEVIL!! He KILLS DEER!!!

I don't think Palmer is just the guy down the road hunting overpopulated, completely non-endangered deer. He may have just been an ignorant participant, but apparently he has been in trouble for lying to a game warden before. And it seems unlikely everyone in this hunting party was just oblivious to the fact this lion was a protected animal that was part of a study. And more importantly, that this animal was used to interacting with people and to an extent probably trusted people.

*snip*

Just so we are clear, ALL of my posts in this thread when hunting is being discussed are regarding animals that will be consumed for food. I am not a fan of trophy hunting and I made that clear on the first page.

I am NOT supportive of Palmer or what he has done.

There are two different conversations going on in this thread about hunting, one is about trophy hunting, the other is about more traditional game hunting for fowl, deer, moose, bear...etc, where the animal is consumed. I am opposed to trophy hunting, as it serves no real purpose but am a fan of regulated game hunts as it works to keep population numbers in check and provides (delicious) food as well.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. Didn't mean to take what you were saying out of context.

Yes, there is a distinct difference in what Palmer did and hunting with the intention to consume.

Hopefully the responsible hunting community as a whole will be vocal in their opposition of people like Palmer. His kind is the biggest threat to responsible, legal hunting. The way his hunting party undermined the rules with the excuse of "oops, we didn't know" (yeah, right) is almost worse than outright poaching.

I agree it's hypocritical for anyone who eats meat to shame a hunter who consumes what they kill themselves. I also agree that responsible, legal, respectful hunting is probably more humane than the conditions many meat livestock are exposed to. Animals consuming other animals is nature...it's about being humane, respectful, responsible, etc. The rape, pillage, torture, and spill blood thing Palmer was doing is something entirely different.

Last edited:
I don't think it is fair to discuss hunting for consumption and poaching in the same thread, in my mind they are two completely different discussions and I think a lot of messages are getting mixed here.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Only a jerkwad would kill a Lion just for fun.

I guess that make me a jerkwad been called worse.

I an glad all we have to worry about is Bambi lion being killed. It is wonderful the abundance of our life styles allows such frivolous thoughts

Social media can be a tough thing for folks. 12 pages of stuff on an oil forum alone.

I can't imagine the impact where he works or owns as a Dentist.

I don't agree with what he did, reminds me of moose hunting lottery in NH. Moose hunting is about as easy as hunting a sofa in the woods but required to keep population in check and fund the Fish and Game. Still not sure why endangered animal had to die in case of lion.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

I can't imagine the impact where he works or owns as a Dentist.

It's all the media is talking about here. It seems like every 10 minutes there's a new "breaking news" story about it.

Here's the scene outside his dental office. The police had to be called in to keep the peace.

8434692_G.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I disagree with you and I'll tell you why:

In my strong far left or far right opinion, (not sure which it is) animals are exponentially better than us humans. Their lives are worth more than ours. Animals are incapable of doing anything evil. They are very much in my strong opinion, perfect. Animals work very hard to stay alive. There's no welfare system or social security benefits for animals. Animals never make mistakes and never do anything wrong - they can't because they're not human. Only humans are the detestable creatures walking this earth. I believe an animal's life is far more valuable than mine - that includes squirrels and raccoons. I have squirrels that come in my backyard and I see all the trouble they go through to find food. They work way harder then I do and I have much more respect for them than I do myself.

I have a spider jar that I keep in the kitchen for taking spiders outside. I don't see the point in killing them when all they need is to be relocated. The only spiders I kill are the black widows because they are a threat to my cat. I even use the spider jar to take cockroaches out of the house because killing them would make a mess and ultimately cause me more trouble then simply relocating them. Some of my most favorite bugs are cucumber beetles. I'm always rescuing them from spider webs and carrying them outside away from the garage. I value life very much and that Lion's life was worth far more than they detestable dentist. No comparison in value I'd say. I believe the laws are way too lenient for humans that kill animals needlessly.

Much of what you said sounds very much like what some who follow the Hindu religion might say, maybe with the exception of detesting the dentist.

A remarkable post on this site!

It sickens to the core of my being. This was a monstrous act of evil in my opinion and this shooter has no business being in the business of caring for people. I hope his practice is destroyed so he has no more money to finance future acts of evil such as this. He destroyed in a second the ability of hundreds or even thousands of people to view this beautiful animal for hours and take photos of him. Why kill this lion for the sport? And, luring him out of a protected area to perpetrate this act makes it all the worse. The fact that this hunter is also a prior lawbreaker only adds to the outrage of it all.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I disagree with you and I'll tell you why:

In my strong far left or far right opinion, (not sure which it is) animals are exponentially better than us humans. Their lives are worth more than ours. Animals are incapable of doing anything evil. They are very much in my strong opinion, perfect. Animals work very hard to stay alive. There's no welfare system or social security benefits for animals. Animals never make mistakes and never do anything wrong - they can't because they're not human. Only humans are the detestable creatures walking this earth. I believe an animal's life is far more valuable than mine - that includes squirrels and raccoons. I have squirrels that come in my backyard and I see all the trouble they go through to find food. They work way harder then I do and I have much more respect for them than I do myself.

I have a spider jar that I keep in the kitchen for taking spiders outside. I don't see the point in killing them when all they need is to be relocated. The only spiders I kill are the black widows because they are a threat to my cat. I even use the spider jar to take cockroaches out of the house because killing them would make a mess and ultimately cause me more trouble then simply relocating them. Some of my most favorite bugs are cucumber beetles. I'm always rescuing them from spider webs and carrying them outside away from the garage. I value life very much and that Lion's life was worth far more than they detestable dentist. No comparison in value I'd say. I believe the laws are way too lenient for humans that kill animals needlessly.

Much of what you said sounds very much like what some who follow the Hindu religion might say, maybe with the exception of detesting the dentist.

A remarkable post on this site!

Merk truly has a heart of gold.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Only a jerkwad would kill a Lion just for fun.

Well one of the top people involved with lion conservation thinks the opposite.

Quote:

ODD as it may sound, American trophy hunters play a critical role in protecting wildlife in Tanzania. The millions of dollars that hunters spend to go on safari here each year help finance the game reserves, wildlife management areas and conservation efforts in our rapidly growing country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/opinion/saving-lions-by-killing-them.html?_r=0

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I dont get how any level headed person could be against hunting, but still eat meat. I had a lib great uncle like this actually.

A cow raised for butcher will get butchered eventually. Same with hogs, sheep, poultry etc. A deer, wild turkey, feral hog etc. will be in the wild and will stand more of a "fair" chance of survival if hunted by a man. Hunting the mentioned three also requires a certain level of skill.

I consider hunting more "fair" than going to the store and buying some steak.

Its because people enjoy the animals on their property. They enhance the quality of life for some people greatly. Much more than than the meat in your freezer is worth. If you are that poor that you need to hunt for your meat, I'll buy you a freezer full of meat to leave the animals alone.

I do see a parallel here. If a beloved animal wonders off my property and you shoot it for meat. Is it that different than a lion wondering off a reserve? The animal is dead. Is the distinction between throphy and meat that big a deal? It won't make me feel any better that the animal is in your freezer instead of visiting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back