Possible Fram Ultra issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Just to update. The noise never came back. At the end of this OCI i will try another Ultra with this oil still in the system to see if the noise returns. If not it will stay on.

I wouldn't waste the money.

You have the "go-to" winner on the vehicle right now.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Just to update. The noise never came back. At the end of this OCI i will try another Ultra with this oil still in the system to see if the noise returns. If not it will stay on.

Did you mail the filter back to Fram for analysis?

I sent them an email but as of now no reply.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I wouldn't waste the money. You have the "go-to" winner on the vehicle right now.
Not necessarily. All manufacturers made "duds" from time to time--Purolator can attest to that (if only then would).

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Did you mail the filter back to Fram for analysis?

I sent them an email but as of now no reply.
No reply yet???

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I wouldn't waste the money. You have the "go-to" winner on the vehicle right now.
Not necessarily. All manufacturers made "duds" from time to time--Purolator can attest to that (if only then would).

He's not installing a Purolator.

The OP is using a NAPA Gold (Wix).

Smart move after his experience with the FRAM "dud".

Not necessarily. All manufacturers made "duds" from time to time--Purolator can attest to that (if only they would).
He's not installing a Purolator. The OP is using a NAPA Gold (Wix). Smart move after his experience with the FRAM "dud".
I never said he was installing a Purolator--I was stating that all manufacturers make duds from time to time and was referencing Purolator's latest debacle.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Latest"? And which one might that be?
The tearing syndrome that supposedly does not exist...

Not necessarily. All manufacturers made "duds" from time to time--Purolator can attest to that (if only they would).
He's not installing a Purolator. The OP is using a NAPA Gold (Wix). Smart move after his experience with the FRAM "dud".
I never said he was installing a Purolator--I was stating that all manufacturers make duds from time to time and was referencing Purolator's latest debacle.

What has that got to do with this piece of [censored] FRAM Ultra we are discussing?

The OP replaced it with a NAPA Gold.

Oh, I get it. You're trying to keep your Purolator "cheap shot" count up.......

Originally Posted By: Garak
He said you can't directly compare flow area. Comparing flow can be done. I don't quite agree with the two dimensional argument, but that's just me being mathematically pedantic, but the point is still valid that unless to samples of media are the same material, comparing surface area has limited value.
I don't buy the "dimension" argument either... even if the filter material is only ONE atom thick, THAT has three dimensions.

What has that got to do with this piece of [censored] FRAM Ultra we are discussing? The OP replaced it with a NAPA Gold. Oh, I get it. You're trying to keep your Purolator "cheap shot" count up.......
You should probably get that chip off your shoulder. All I said was that ALL manufacturer's make duds from time to time and referenced Purolator as an example.

Says the master of Fram cheap shots ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Garak
He said you can't directly compare flow area. Comparing flow can be done. I don't quite agree with the two dimensional argument, but that's just me being mathematically pedantic, but the point is still valid that unless to samples of media are the same material, comparing surface area has limited value.
I don't buy the "dimension" argument either... even if the filter material is only ONE atom thick, THAT has three dimensions.

The media composition (synthetic vs cellulose) is very different. Synthetic media filters much more throughout it's depth, which is much thicker to start with than cellulose medias.

That's why a full synthetic media filter can hold more debris with LESS filtering area ... it makes it up in the filtering DEPTH of the media. This is pretty much media 101 stuff.

That's true, but there is always some component of depth filtering, even with paper media. It's certainly not the same as with a dual layer synthetic, obviously, but I'm picky about coordinate systems.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

grin.gif

FRAM unsells itself.

They don't need my help.

Just look at the recent photos of the bottom dweller FRAM TG in another thread.

While you can take $9 to the store and possibly buy a decent FRAM, I'll take a NAPA/Wix instead any day.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

grin.gif

FRAM unsells itself.

They don't need my help.

Just look at the recent photos of the bottom dweller FRAM TG in another thread.

While you can take $9 to the store and possibly buy a decent FRAM, I'll take a NAPA/Wix instead any day.

I wouldn't call the TG the bottom dweller. It has more going for it than a lot of filters in that tier.

Maybe you meant EG ... which still smokes a Tear-o-laor since the EG doesn't have the failure rate of the Purolators which definitely have been "unselling' themselves lately.

I know you are but what I am... no you are, no you... blah blah
grin.gif

One rattle on startup thread is not going to change my opinion of the FU.

Its not meant to, what it does indicate though is not all filters are good for everyone or every vehicle. The fact the op has tried a FU, but has decided its not for him based on engine tick, is an honest evaluation.

I would agree that most here have had good experiences with FU, but would encourage anyone who hasn't to come forward and give their honest evaluation, as I would with any oil filter.

^^^

Trav-still wondering if Fram ever got back to you? I'm using Ultras on 4 different cars now (no 3800 GMs, though) & have had no issues. Surprising if you've heard nothing at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back