Any special location for roof bathroom fan vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any typical "feet away from drip edge for a roof mounted bathroom vent fan exhaust cap?

Snow can drift anywhere on a roof so I'm curious. Currently mine vents under the soffit which is no good. Bu I'm wondering about how the roof ones don't get blocked.

^Haw.

The only trick I can think of is don't put it in a corner or where the wall and ceiling meet. It needs to be out in the open.

If you have a shower in there it needs to be closer to the steam...

Can you not fit it in the sofit?

I don't like roof vents.

Regardless, keep the ducting as short as possible, yet don't allow condensation to flow back to the fan.

For my apartment it goes through the ceiling and vents right next to my upstairs neighbor's balcony.

They like to smoke ... things. My bathroom often smells like the things they are smoking.

So, I would say, not near somewhere where someone would be smoking ... things.

Originally Posted By: expat

I don't like roof vents.

Regardless, keep the ducting as short as possible, yet don't allow condensation to flow back to the fan.
In most of the US now the nanny state REQUIRES a "ridge vent" as part of
any reroofing job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I don't like roof vents.

any reroofing job.

A ridge vent is to vent your attic area not your bathroom. I think most people do not read the original post anymore and everyone gets side tracked. Kind of like the game of "Telephone".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tmorris1

I don't like roof vents.

any reroofing job.

A ridge vent is to vent your attic area not your bathroom.
No KIDDING, gee, I didn't KNOW that.....My post was a reply to one about not liking vents in roofs. Did you bother to read it?

I don't like roof vents.

any reroofing job.

I had a ridge vent put in on my new roof 3 years ago. It is almost worthless compared to the aluminum turbines I had. When I get time the ridge vent is somehow going to be sealed off and the turbines going back in.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Currently mine vents under the soffit which is no good.

What about this design do you not like? This is fairly common, and both of our bathroom exhaust vans vent through the soffit. They have mounted vent caps there any everything, like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317949-85334-VTL0021_0__?productId=3126431

I personally think it's an ideal solution because it avoids roof penetrations, which you generally want to avoid if you can. Also no worries about snow drifts.

Sump- You say it currently vents under the soffit and you don't like that. Why? That's the best location for the exhaust. I've put in a few that way. Anything you poke through the roof is a potential leak. If you can avoid it. Always do so IMO.

Also like said, using 4" plastic pipe or anything smooth is best for ducting.

In regards to under soffit vents. The two I used were these. Both worked perfectly.

evevnt.jpg

621119_front500.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Any typical "feet away from drip edge for a roof mounted bathroom vent fan exhaust cap?

Snow can drift anywhere on a roof so I'm curious. Currently mine vents under the soffit which is no good. Bu I'm wondering about how the roof ones don't get blocked.

Heat escape when it runs and sometimes not keeps it from blocking typically.

One of my concerns with venting through the roof is condensation running back down through the vent pipe.

If condensation pools up, you can get some pretty nasty stuff growing in the pipe.

Idealy I would want the pipe as short as possible, and after a quick rise from the fan, a gentle down-hill out to a soffit vent.

One of my concerns with venting through the roof is condensation running back down through the vent pipe.

If condensation pools up, you can get some pretty nasty stuff growing in the pipe.

Idealy I would want the pipe as short as possible, and after a quick rise from the fan, a gentle down-hill out to a soffit vent.

You could insulate the pipe or put a Tee with a way to open the bottom.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

I don't like roof vents.

any reroofing job.

A ridge vent is to vent your attic area not your bathroom.
No KIDDING, gee, I didn't KNOW that.....My post was a reply to one about not liking vents in roofs. Did you bother to read it?

Sure did. Again, the topic is on bathroom venting through the roof. Not sure how a ridge vent applies to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back