Chinese Tesla Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
China is not communist. I'm no poly-sci expert but when I go to China it's about as capitalistic as can be imagined.

It is a communist country. The current state of affairs can end in one day. That's why we have luxury compounds in CA, where well off Chinese fly their pregnant wives to deliver their children in USA.

There is a big conflict brewing right now in their Politburo.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
China is not communist. I'm no poly-sci expert but when I go to China it's about as capitalistic as can be imagined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

Quote:
China, officially the People's Republic of China (PRC), is a sovereign state in East Asia. It is the world's most populous country, with a population of over 1.35 billion. The PRC is a single-party state governed by the Chinese Communist Party, with its seat of government in the capital city of Beijing.

Officially communist I think means they just take a cut off the top at this point, and they may arrest you and have you killed in jail if you say the wrong thing. My cousin teaches English there and it is more of the regulation free utopia that many here wish for, within certain political limits...

Originally Posted By: philipp10
"China has ruined their own reputation with substandard products therefore will never end up in the same boat as the Japanese and Koreans"

All I can say is, "never" is a long time and people have short memories.
"Seldom affirm, never deny, and always distinguish".

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

Quote:
China, officially the People's Republic of China (PRC), is a sovereign state in East Asia. It is the world's most populous country, with a population of over 1.35 billion. The PRC is a single-party state governed by the Chinese Communist Party, with its seat of government in the capital city of Beijing.

Officially communist I think means they just take a cut off the top at this point, and they may arrest you and have you killed in jail if you say the wrong thing. My cousin teaches English there and it is more of the regulation free utopia that many here wish for, within certain political limits...
It was ONCE a "communist country", however that is defined these days, at some point the leaders thereof came to the realization that without a market style business model they would never be able to compete in international commerce. Today it's run by some sort of dictatorship which still calls itself "communist" and which has apparently moved beyond the "kill all the guys we just deposed" practice because it's bad for their international reputation. It wasn't that long ago the Red Guards were purging at will. A real key to all this is that the the capitalists who have accumulated vast fortunes have been allowed to KEEP them by the "communist" government ...for the "greater good".

Last edited:
China is capable of making a car of any quality. They will struggle at first, but they will get better, faster then any other previous manufacturer.

China and India might just change the culture of the automobile over the next couple of decades just like Japan did over the past couple of decades.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
China is capable of making a car of any quality. They will struggle at first, but they will get better, faster then any other previous manufacturer.

China and India might just change the culture of the automobile over the next couple of decades just like Japan did over the past couple of decades.

I'm not so sure about the getting better, faster than any other manufacturer part, but given their shear economic potential, China will probably give other manufacturers a good run for their money. But time will only tell that.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Given that electric cars were here in the U.S. in 1904, its an old concept for a car. The styling looks pretty swoopy-jaguaresque generic too. I'm not sure what patents from Tesla they might be violating, maybe none.
Knickers should not be twisted every time somebody produces another electric car.

actually they shouldn't be violating any of Tesla's patents, largely b/c Last year Elon "released" Tesla's patents. making their EV Drivetrain designs free and open-source for anyone to copy free from litigation.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Given that electric cars were here in the U.S. in 1904, its an old concept for a car. The styling looks pretty swoopy-jaguaresque generic too. I'm not sure what patents from Tesla they might be violating, maybe none.
Knickers should not be twisted every time somebody produces another electric car.

actually they shouldn't be violating any of Tesla's patents, largely b/c Last year Elon "released" Tesla's patents. making their EV Drivetrain designs free and open-source for anyone to copy free from litigation.

Also, seems like Tesla wasn't doing anything that innovative. They put their batteries in the floor, and relied on battery companies to create decent range, which did happen, but the breakthroughs were with the battery companies. A lot has been done in recent years with electrics. I once knew an engineer at UQM.com and visited there for an SAE meeting, and noticed a lot of innovation could be done in the signal processing and hardware, but that you'd typically hire UQM or another specialty electric drivetrain maker while you concentrated on engineering the car body itself.

https://uqm.com/uqm-technologies-achieves-electric-motorcontroller-system-certification-in-china/
One danger of doing business in China, like UQM is doing in the summary above, is that some Chinese company might try to reverse engineer the UQM drive system and put it in a car that looks like a Porsche Panamera, Tesla, or 1966 Jag E-Type, using batteries from a major player....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My cousin teaches English there and it is more of the regulation free utopia that many here wish for, within certain political limits...

Without going off the rails politically here, your point is actually a condemnation of their system, and not a good point. If it's regulation free within political limits (i.e. set by the permanent regime), then it's not free at all. You can sell harmful garbage but you can't bring up 1989. That's all that needs to be said about that on BITOG.

I guess my point is tha many people and businesses have lots of unhindered economic freedom. I don't think it's a great country, but if you've got the cash, you can make things happen. Then after you make your millions you move the family to Vancouver or Toronto and can live happily ever after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back