Engine Noise Level after oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my first oil change in my 2015 Fusion 1.5L Ecoboost. Switched from the Factory fill to PP 5w-20, Motorcraft Filter. Engine noise seems louder after the change. Anyone else experienced this?

The 1.5 and 1.6 EcoBoost engines use 5W20, part of why I made sure my mom's Fusion had a 2.0L EcoBoost. The 2.0L also has a larger sump and uses a timing chain.

Did it have a cartridge loaded filter or spin on? I liked the OEM Champ labs FOMOCO better than motorcrapt replacements, the Champ came FACOTORY on my Ranger 2.3 Spanish mazda motor.

The freshly load DP is prolly doing a package re-alignment. Sometime kills the motor sometimes not.

Originally Posted By: clarkmc3
Did my first oil change in my 2015 Fusion 1.5L Ecoboost. Switched from the Factory fill to PP 5w-20, Motorcraft Filter. Engine noise seems louder after the change. Anyone else experienced this?

Complete human error. Noise perception levels are more psychological.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's PPs round, marble like molecules that are making a racket. You gotta switch back to MC's cube molecules.

I thought Motorcraft oil had cotton ball molecules which makes engines quieter.

Just because some people are tone deaf doesn't mean all are. I can tell the difference between some lubes in my Jeep for example, but certainly not all.

OP while it may sound different to you just wait, as it really takes 1,000 - 1,500 miles with a new oil in your engine to really get an accurate feel for it IMO.

true story

A fellow member at m3post.com measured a 2dB (74 vs. 76) difference between running 10W60 and M1 0W40 at idle. Given that his SPL meter most likely has an accuracy of plus/minus 2dB, I told him he probably didn't hear the increased noise from running a lighter M1.

So for those of you that claim to be able to hear a difference between brands/weight, I call hogwash until you show us clear evidence.

*Most human ears cannot detect a 2dB difference anyways between 70dB~80dB range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Just because some people are tone deaf doesn't mean all are. I can tell the difference between some lubes in my Jeep for example, but certainly not all.

OP while it may sound different to you just wait, as it really takes 1,000 - 1,500 miles with a new oil in your engine to really get an accurate feel for it IMO.

+1

Originally Posted By: mclasser

+1

+2 While sound is difficult to describe, "feel", though even more ambiguous is not. Many times a change in weight/vendor in my case has made a difference in engine smoothness/harshness. The 1,000 to 1,500 mile observation I find also to be very accurate. By then most all "feel" the same as well.

OMG, my engine "sounds" different with a different manufacturer's same viscosity. What a complete load of rubbish. I could see that an engine sounded differently if one had been running Mobil 1 5W-30 and then switched to vegetable oil.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629

So for those of you that claim to be able to hear a difference between brands/weight, I call hogwash until you show us clear evidence.

Notice I said "tone" deaf. There is more to it than actual noise level although that is indeed some of it.

I will never be able to "prove" it to your satisfaction and I honestly don't care beyond interesting conversation. But I will tell you this. If I gave you a full oil change of both Rotella 10w30 and PYB 10w30 for my Jeep, and told you to change it without telling me which one you used, within 1,000 miles I could tell you which you had used. And I guarantee you I would be right 100% of the time.

Now if I made that bet for example with Defy, Trop Artic and Castrol HM I wouldn't have the slightest clue, I would just be guessing those all sound the same to me.

Not everyone is tone deaf and many oils are similar but not all, just because everyone can't hear occasional differences doesn't mean no one can.

I would agree most comments made immediately after an oil change are likely placebo effect.

Sound does not need to be subjective. Human hearing on the other hand is very subjective due to how the brain handles sound.

If you used a db meter you would have hard data. If you used a transducer and spectrum analyzer you could use the empirical data to trend with. Large machinery is often measured in this way to decide when bearings need to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: mclasser

+1

+2 While sound is difficult to describe, "feel", though even more ambiguous is not. Many times a change in weight/vendor in my case has made a difference in engine smoothness/harshness. The 1,000 to 1,500 mile observation I find also to be very accurate. By then most all "feel" the same as well.

+3 I'm with you guys. Not all oils, not every car, but with some oils (and additives like MoS2) I can feel / hear the difference in some cars / bikes I am quite familiar with. I agree the placebo effect is around and happens a lot, but that isn't proof that every subtle observation is a placebo effect. Mostly I notice nothing when I change oil etc, but sometimes it's both observable and reproducible.

A mate once had a bike, with certain flat spots at some RPM and better response at other RPM, etc. He told us all about it, then one day he got it on a dyno and it completely agreed with everything he had been telling us. Yes, I know a dyno and carb problems are not the same as changing engine oil, it's far more obvious. Just saying a person can still be correct even if a machine hasn't taken the measurement.

I remember doing a lab once with a frequency generator. Most people can hear 20Hz to 20KHz. We had about 30 people in the class, some could definitely hear higher or lower frequencies than others. Mine was better than most, but this one guy (who played in a classical band) could hear amazingly low frequencies that I could not hear at all.

Plus…..sugar pills taste sweet
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back