Sonata Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I bought a 2007 Sonata 2.4l I4, August of last year at 192,600km. After my first oil change with 10w-30 Castrol High Mileage and a Fram filter, an irregular noise started occurring. I tried oil thickners (recommended by mechanic) didn't help, ended up seafoaming the crankcase and switching to Mobil 1 5w-30. The noise got worse, I tried some researching and discovered that there is a TSB on aftermarket filters, tried the OEM Hyundai filter and noise stayed the same. On the next oil change I tried a 5w40 oil (owners manual allows from 5w-20 to 10w-30). Noise got even worse (notice the trend every oil change?) I poured in some engine restore and it quieted it down 100%, the noise started slowly emerging back but never as bad as before. Oil change after that I did a Mobil 1 5w30 oil change with engine restore and again noise completely vanished, it just now started slowly emerging. The car has 206,xxx KM on it right now so its been driving for quite some distance with the noise with no issues, car has also been pushed a few times and it takes it well. I have a couple of youtube videos to show you guys, first 2 are mine, they show how bad the noise was before engine restore, the last one is not mine but it shows the noise how it is after engine restore wears off, however, my engine is not as loud, same exact noise however. His engine also started making noise after an oil change.

If anyone can chime in as to what it is to finally rest my mind I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm doubtful its that because engine restore made it temporarily go away, its also an irregular beat.

Also for the last video, you have to pay careful attention to the clunk/clack noise beneath the valve train noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
May want to adjust your valve guides.
Adjustable valve GUIDES? Never seen one. What's in "Engine Restore"?

Liquid metal particles, fills in "scratches" etc... It also sticks to metal. They state that the metal is small enough to pass through oil filter and cause no harm to the engine. Or maybe the oil filter IS catching it hence why the noise takes a while to return after a fresh can?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: F24Sonata
Liquid metal particles, fills in "scratches" etc... It also sticks to metal. They state that the metal is small enough to pass through oil filter and cause no harm to the engine. Or maybe the oil filter IS catching it hence why the noise takes a while to return after a fresh can?
I suppose some filters would catch it more quickly than others. Still, it points to a wear problem within the engine which you will have to deal with in some more direct way, sooner or later.

Last edited:
Liquid metal particles, fills in "scratches" etc... It also sticks to metal.

No. Just no. No, no, no, no, no.

What it does have is a bunch of really viscous low-tech base oil that thickens the rest of the fill. That's the only possible way it would make an audible difference. If its really got metal particles that "fill scratches," it would cause your piston rings to fail immediately because it would fill in all the cross-hatch and granularity of the cylinder walls which is necessary to lubricate the compression rings. The old "Slick 50" with particulate PTFE was actually proven to do exactly that in an actual controlled test run by Briggs&Stratton- doing far more harm than good overall.

The marketing [censored] of these additive companies never ceases to make me sick.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Liquid metal particles, fills in "scratches" etc... It also sticks to metal.

No. Just no. No, no, no, no, no.

What it does have is a bunch of really viscous low-tech base oil that thickens the rest of the fill. That's the only possible way it would make an audible difference. If its really got metal particles that "fill scratches," it would cause your piston rings to fail immediately because it would fill in all the cross-hatch and granularity of the cylinder walls which is necessary to lubricate the compression rings. The old "Slick 50" with particulate PTFE was actually proven to do exactly that in an actual controlled test run by Briggs&Stratton- doing far more harm than good overall.

The marketing [censored] of these additive companies never ceases to make me sick.

I have used 2 cans now and neither of them were viscous, I have also tried an oil thickner before as my mechanic recommended (STP) and that did nothing. This is the only additive of the 3 I have tried (STP and Seafoam) that quieted the engine down.

Also no, I have not tried a 5w-20, I'm afraid with the miles and damage done to this engine that a 5w-20 would destroy it (not that I don't believe in low mileage oils, my newer cars run that oil) but in other countries this car is listed at 5w-30 to 10w-40. So that's the only reason I have avoided using a 5w-20 in the Sonata.

Last edited:
i think there has been some issues with timing chain tensioner guides on these motors. might be worth looking into

Originally Posted By: hemitom
i think there has been some issues with timing chain tensioner guides on these motors. might be worth looking into

You are correct, forgot to mention there is a TSB for that, however, it doesn't make the same noise a failed/failing tensioner does (such as crazy ticking at start up). I really don't want to tear this engine apart because it was only a $5,000 car but everything else is in such good condition it saddens me.

Most here don't buy into snake oils, and the miraculous moleculer claims they make. Get the snake oil out of your engine and never use it again.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Most here don't buy into snake oils, and the miraculous moleculer claims they make. Get the snake oil out of your engine and never use it again.

I know that, but it wasn't the intent of this thread, I listed everything I have done to show what has helped and what hasn't to maybe be able to pinpoint the issue. I have been following BITOG for a while before I registered.

Not an exhaust leak (tested for that) and pretty sure its not the timing chain, once again noise is not consistent enough for that.

Restore does work to restore compression. Guy put it in a 200,000 mile Honda Civic motor with compression low around ~30% on two specific cylinders, added restore, tested again, and it fully got compression back on the bad two cylinders, and the other two good cylinders were the same (stayed good).

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Have you tried a 5W-20?

I second this -- Try 5W-20 oil and OEM filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back