2015 Tacoma one week review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cadenza
I've got a 2013 with the 5 speed auto and it has been 100% reliable.
You may want to change out those Dunlops (the one weak link) but I have no complaints otherwise. Nice color.
Not very old Come back at 250,000 miles or more to test the reliability. I have a 1996 Tacoma it runs like a new truck although it has only 93,000 miles and has been properly maintained. I Am in the market for a new truck either a tacoma 4 cyl maybe a 6 although I am not sure or maybe a Ford F150 with the 2.7 6 cyl although the voice inside my head says never buy a first year vehicle.

My bottom of the line f150 doesn't have a temp gauge either. I'd say be glad for the steel wheels. Alloys are a theft magnet. You can always replace them if the steel wheels start looking bad.

There's manual transmission and then there is manual transmission. Toyota is one that always had a good "feel." I'm envious. Not envious of the mpg, though. A Tacoma ought to beat out a Ford by at least 3-4 mpg.

Toyota must be absolutely coining money with these things.There's really nothing like it and they crank them out by the hundreds without having to discount.

if the 2016 mpg is up I'd bite on a access cab 4x4..hate to dump my Highlander but need to climb a 250ft snow covered driveway at the cabin. Cabin is in a river basin so then it's a 1/4 mile uphill out..storm rolls in it's a problem, could be days to see a county plow.

Only issue is my 28k miles per yr.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
How is the transmission?

The transmission is great. The hard part for me is remembering that reverse is upper left and not bottom right like the Civic that I have been driving for the last decade or so.
19.gif

My thoughts regarding some of the other recent comments....

-Rust. I thought that was a problem with earlier first gen Tacomas of 1995-2004 or so.
-Longevity. That is one of the main reasons that I bought a last year 2nd gen Taco.
-Pricing. You can get $10k off of sticker on Laramies and King Ranches but that just means that they were overpriced to begin with.
-MPG. The new 2016s will surely get better gas mileage, everything is a tradeoff.

Nice truck, I have a 2010 same engine with auto trans. Has never been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot new in 2010. I have two outstanding recalls, one for the brake override re-flash, one for the seat belt retractor bolts in the rear doors. I really don't want to go in for those two things.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: buster
How is the transmission?

The transmission is great. The hard part for me is remembering that reverse is upper left and not bottom right like the Civic that I have been driving for the last decade or so.
19.gif

My thoughts regarding some of the other recent comments....

-Rust. I thought that was a problem with earlier first gen Tacomas of 1995-2004 or so.
-Longevity. That is one of the main reasons that I bought a last year 2nd gen Taco.
-Pricing. You can get $10k off of sticker on Laramies and King Ranches but that just means that they were overpriced to begin with.
-MPG. The new 2016s will surely get better gas mileage, everything is a tradeoff.

The rust hit the 2nd gens. as well, but I think it's been resolved now.

The Tacoma world is losing their minds over the fact that Tacoma has not come out with engine specs. yet for the 3rd gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back