Where to find a special drill bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old bed with steel side rails. The rails are really hard. I want to drill these rails and screw down the wooden slats so they don't fall out. The drill bits I have won't even mark the stuff. What kind of drill bit do I need?

Make sure you use a center punch, and start with a small bit. Any titanium or even HSS should drill that.

I must admit i have a cobalt HF set that works really well.
( FLAME SUIT ON)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
The drill bits I have won't even mark the stuff. What kind of drill bit do I need?

A sharp drill bit! Any sharp drill bit should do. even HSS. Start Small.

Nothing about your bed rails should be that hard (unless they are wear resistant AR plate), a good HSS bit should cut it no problem. Most of the cheap bit sets are cheese grade or improperly hardened, go to a tool supplier or Fastenal and get a high quality bit or two. Plenty of feed pressure and not too many rpm's, you should be cutting a good chip or curl and not have any chattering or squealing. Chatter and squealing means the bit is rubbing and just getting hot and dull.

Lowes has ten-packs of 1/8" bits. They wear down, but you get nine more. Start with these and you'll be able to enlarge them easily.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a drill bit with "Cobalt" on the package.
These are designed for steel.

I used to use 10 packs of cheapo 1/8" drill bits on a contract that I was doing.
After the first 10 pack I decided to buy a package of two 1/8" Cobalt Steel drill bits.
I still have them after the job was done.

Also go get yourself a "Automatic Center Punch", they are wonderful for marking steel or concrete.

Center punch it first so that the drill bit has something to grab onto and you won't have the hole walk out on you. Then drill it out with a small drillbit, then move up in diameter if need be.

Agreed with the above, you really want to get a sharp bit. How long it stays sharp is what you pay for with better drill bits.

Also agree with the center punch tip. I went years without a center punch, trying to use nails with the hammer, or just letting the bit walk a little bit. I recently bought a center punch and on stuff like steel an aluminum, it makes a big difference. I don't know why I haven't been center punching everything before drilling...

Thanks guys. I ordered drill bits in several sizes to replace old/dull/missing bits.

BTW: these bed rails are very old and are really hard, almost like spring steel. They take the edge off a low cost drill bit.

You could mess with drilling them out, but if it were me I'd just put a dab of silicone on each one then put the box spring on. The silicone will hold them in place for normal use, but if you should ever need to remove them it's pliable enough to be pulled apart.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You could mess with drilling them out, but if it were me I'd just put a dab of silicone on each one then put the box spring on. The silicone will hold them in place for normal use, but if you should ever need to remove them it's pliable enough to be pulled apart.

This^. If you must drill it, I too recommend cobalt (even HF cobalt bits are decent enough)for anything metal. They just last and last, especially in a drill press where we impatient types tend to muscle through the metal.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Using a center punch is something typically your Dad shows you.

Not me! The United States Navy showed my how. They also showed me how to use taps and dies and thread repair inserts like Helicoils and Keenserts.

Originally Posted By: another Todd

If you must drill it, I too recommend cobalt (even HF cobalt bits are decent enough)for anything metal. They just last and last, especially in a drill press where we impatient types tend to muscle through the metal.

Update, I bought cobalt bits from Amazon, ($1.78 each). Took 2 bits to drill 8 5/32" holes. Really hard rails. Found out why the slats kept falling out, the rails would rotate up to 30* under load, mostly when a heavy person rolled over. Because of this springiness, I am locking the slats down to the rails with nuts and washers.

Sounds like you worked it out for a reasonable cost.

Your bed rails may have a high silicon content, more abrasive than hard.

Keep those dull drill bits, they can be resharpened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back