stolen license plates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my license plates stolen and the criminals swapped my plates for a different set. They did a pretty bad job of mounting the new ones and when I saw my front one hanging down is when I noticed. Police said the swapped plates belong to the same color and model of truck but a different year. As of yet I don't have much other info other than the officer told me that the owner of the other plates has not reported their vehicle stolen. Has anyone else here ever had plates stolen and what do you recommend as a deterrent?

My idea so far is to buy some new license plate screws with various types of screw heads ( torx, Allen head, etc.) and just mix and match them. My thinking is that simply making it more of a PITA to remove should suffice.

They have screws for license plates that need a special tool to remove. Sold at the auto parts store. I had to do it for a family member's car that they live in Amsterdam for 7 months out of the year so the car is an easy target.

They make theft resistant screws. Its an Allen head with a protruding point so a standard Allen won't go into the recess. They provide the Allen tool with hollow end.

You can find them on eBay. I bought mine at a local hardware.

Years ago I had accumulated about 20 license plates from various cars over 15 years. A woman I worked with was in a tizzy to return her pair of plates immediately to DMV. She was aghast I had so many plates and was fearful someone would steal my plates and rob and rob a bank and I'd be going up the river.

So, uh, it's a good thing you noticed the stolen plates on your car.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Years ago I had accumulated about 20 license plates from various cars over 15 years. A woman I worked with was in a tizzy to return her pair of plates immediately to DMV. She was aghast I had so many plates and was fearful someone would steal my plates and rob and rob a bank and I'd be going up the river.

Yeah but how old were the registration stickers on them?

If they mount on your trunk you can always drill through and use machine screws with nuts. Then you'll have to open the trunk to get 'em loose. Also put big washers under the heads so they can't just rip the plate off by hogging the holes out a teeny bit.

I would hit up the DMV tomorrow and get a new plate number, invalidate the old ones, and disavow yourself with any means possible, including a police report. For all you know they're out running up tolls or parking tickets.

Tamper proof torx bit screws is what I use. You can find these at Advance Auto if you have one locally. It's in the license plate section for about $6 for a pack of 4. They have them for both American and Import vehicles.

Edit - Found them.

Metric Screws

Standard

Was watching a crime show last night and some bank robbers rented a car, swapped plates on it with some stolen from a similar vehicle, and went to do the robbery.

I'm going to the DMV first thing tomorrow and I filed a police report. I would think that hunting down the owner of the other license plates should shed some light on the situation but I'm not sure how much follow up the police are going to do as this is probably considered a pretty low priority crime. I plan to follow up on the status of the report and hopefully they figure something out. I'll check into those security screws and put them on all my vehicles.

My belief is that the other truck is being used to commit crimes so they swapped the plates with a similar vehicle. If the other truck is not stolen then it seems to me that the owner of that truck should be the most viable suspect.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Yeah but how old were the registration stickers on them?

We don't have registration stickers on license plates in NJ.

Sadly very common around here....both due to crimes or those who cannot afford to (due to super high insurance rates)

Now you have me wondering how many people may be driving around with stolen plates and not know.

I know of stealing plates, and I understand the reason. Replacing them? Is this a prank?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Now you have me wondering how many people may be driving around with stolen plates and not know.

I know of people who have one set of plates for several vehicles.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

I don't know all my plate numbers by heart, to be able to recite them. But I know my Neon is something-something-UK and would notice something different if someone swapped them.

They were hoping to evade detection by having something metal and shiny on your car. Not by you, but by passing by cops and meter maids who would notice a car with no plates. If your cops have automated license plate readers and got a hit on you, wasting resources and causing a hubbub, bonus for the crook.

Why not use some motorcycle ignition switch screws? They have a deep groove cut into them and once it reaches a certain torque value the head breaks off and you are basically left with an extra heavy duty pain in the bum to remove rivet

Before:

b9amti.jpg

And after:

35kvoz8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back