vanline refuses to relocate my stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: CKN
Shipping it under any circumstances is foolish.

Why's that?

Liability. Your still looking at a relative low dollar amount with 50 quarts of oil (relatively speaking). So why even open the can of worms. Obviously, the OP has a decent job-the company is paying to relocate all his belongings...even his cars. It's chocolate chip cookie money....why bother?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: 08sienna
that would be neat but I am moving from northeast to southwest thus my cars will be transported too. I am not sure about sneaking in my stash in boxes because it is a full pack-and-ship service

Maybe put the stash in your cars that get shipped?

EasyPeasy.
I would box them up first.

Liability. Your still looking at a relative low dollar amount with 50 quarts of oil (relatively speaking). So why even open the can of worms. Obviously, the OP has a decent job-the company is paying to relocate all his belongings...even his cars. It's chocolate chip cookie money....why bother?

Who's liable, the OP or the shipper? Amazon ships oil out everyday.
21.gif

I work part time as a package handler at a major shipping company. Do NOT ship oil that is not properly labeled. You're asking for the box to undergo treacherous trips inside sorting hubs on fast conveyor belts and chutes with thousands of its closest friends. That, and some pot smoker inside the hub will stick a 75 lb package on top of your oil box and smash the thing, after which we'll put a tape repair on it if you're lucky enough for it not to spill.

Moreover, the box has to be sturdy enough to handle its cargo! See "pot smoker" above.

(Disclaimer: Sometimes, proper hazmat labeling isn't enough of a safeguard either. But you'd be surprised how often we get told obvious things like "If the box says CLOROX on it, don't send it on the main belt." They tell us these things because somebody did.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildcatswo
I work part time as a package handler at a major shipping company. Do NOT ship oil that is not properly labeled. You're asking for the box to undergo treacherous trips inside sorting hubs on fast conveyor belts and chutes with thousands of its closest friends. That, and some pot smoker inside the hub will stick a 75 lb package on top of your oil box and smash the thing, after which we'll put a tape repair on it if you're lucky enough for it not to spill.

Moreover, the box has to be sturdy enough to handle its cargo! See "pot smoker" above.

(Disclaimer: Sometimes, proper hazmat labeling isn't enough of a safeguard either. But you'd be surprised how often we get told obvious things like "If the box says CLOROX on it, don't send it on the main belt." They tell us these things because somebody did.)

There you go Merkava_4. What I said! It's simply not worth it. BTW-Amazon isn't paying the freight rates the OP will if he indeed does ship the oil.

Last edited:
Amazon ships oil out everyday.
21.gif

Amazon has a lot more clout than the OP in dictating terms to UPS.

The shipper is ultimately liable. There are Federal laws regarding this that some posters have mentioned.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Box it up and ship it.

^ What he said. Since the moving company is shipping your cars too, that is your only option.

His other option(s) are to sell it for cheap to friends, give it to friends, or donate it and take the write off.

Shipping it under any circumstances is foolish.

+1

Not to mention the fact that the cost of shipping 50 quarts of motor oil from the northeast to the southwest will most likely exceed what the oil is actually worth.

Originally Posted By: wildcatswo

Geez - someone with some actual common sense.

Originally Posted By: Barnaclebob
Change the oil in your car before its shipped. Offer to change friends oil for $20 if they bring the filter.

ha, yea cause that's the priority #1 while you're in the middle of planning a cross country move.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Originally Posted By: Donald

Thus why my oil "stash" is on the shelves at Walmart.

Exactly.

I don't see the value in having money tied up in motor oil. A 5qt jug on the shelf is plenty enough for me to stash.

You don't get all the "atta boys" from other members here on BITOG that are oil collectors who like to brag what they saved, their latest score at Pep Boys, Kmart, Walmart, or their score on a website and how big their stash is. One member on here mentioned he had an 150 quart stash.

Exactly.

I don't see the value in having money tied up in motor oil. A 5qt jug on the shelf is plenty enough for me to stash.

You don't get all the "atta boys" from other members here on BITOG that are oil collectors who like to brag what they saved, their latest score at Pep Boys, Kmart, Walmart, or their score on a website and how big their stash is. One member on here mentioned he had an 150 quart stash.
What's wrong with having a large oil stash that cost pennies on the dollar?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Exactly.

If you enjoy saving money on oil-that is a multi year supply nothing. If you really want to be strategic-go save money on non-perishable food. That's what you will need in case of extreme emergency. When that day comes-your neighbor isn't going to say trade you a loaf of bread for 5 quarts of oil and a filter. He will be wanting to trade foodstuff, ammo or the like. Changing one's oil when all cane is breaking loose is the not on someone's mind.

In addition-I have been a member on this forum not quite a year. And this very topic of "I have all this oil, what do I do with it?" has come up at least four times I have counted.

Yea-building up a stash of 100's of quarts/oil is always a good idea.

Last edited:

Nothing is wrong with it if it is bringing you joy and you don't mind the shelf space in the garage being used to store your stash.

If it is about saving money, you are better of stashing items that you use on a daily basis. I spend more on toilet paper for my family per year than I do in oil. I would be better off stashing huge quantities of toilet paper that I get on sale.

Most people are not impressed when you show them a garage full of Charmin Ultra Soft, but it generally does not present a problem to the moving company, unlike oil.

Nothing is wrong with it if it is bringing you joy and you don't mind the shelf space in the garage being used to store your stash.

If it is about saving money, you are better of stashing items that you use on a daily basis. I spend more on toilet paper for my family per year than I do in oil. I would be better off stashing huge quantities of toilet paper that I get on sale.

Most people are not impressed when you show them a garage full of Charmin Ultra Soft, but it generally does not present a problem to the moving company, unlike oil.

I would be impressed especially if it was the Ultra Soft!

Lol well I'm definitely not a doomsday prepper. I'm not one of those people who has so much oil in their stash that they can't use it, I have I believe 55 quarts. With 4 cars that I maintain, it goes by pretty quickly. I buy my oil for anywhere from $0.33 per quart to usually tops $1.00 per quart. I changed the oil in my grandfather's Jeep 2 months ago, cost $3 in oil. Would have been at least $23 at Walmart.

If you have 4 cars and each of them takes 5 quarts and they drive 12,000 to 15,000 a year you have plenty of oil. Another topic that comes to this forum is when someone changes cars and the oil you have nolonger meets the spec of vehicle and you have this extra cheap oil.

Happens all the time on BITOG.

Then it's what do I do with this perfectly good oil scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back