Chinese Tesla Clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they work as well as the fake iPhones and Galaxys you can buy on eBay.

In 1949 VW imported 2 bugs and the experts laughed.

In 1958 Toyota imported 287 Toyopet Crown sedans and 1 Land Cruiser. The experts laughed, again.

Everyone knew that neither effort would ever amount to anything at all. American journalists, auto industry experts and executives from the big 3 thought this was nothing less than an exercise in futility. How could a bug and a Japanese junk mobile ever compete against real cars and pickup trucks made right here in America by Americans.

Same with Korea when the first Excel arrived here in 1986. Who in their right mind would ever buy a Korean car? Not a chance, the experts repeated. Korea will never make a car of the quality demanded by American buyers. The experts were right on their game, as usual.

And China? Never happen. The experts agree, again. I wonder if they're getting tired of always being correct.

"However, that estimate is likely based on the Chinese testing cycle, which is less stringent than the U.S. EPA testing regimen."

The remark about the EPA made me chuckle.

The RPC car may not be as badarse as TESLA, but you only pay like a third

Exactly, and that's what's killing manufacturing in North America. I can understand Tesla starting out as a luxury type thing, catering to a niche market. The goal, however, I presume, is to make that vehicle and brand mainstream. For their sake, they had better not let the Chinese be the ones to figure out how to mass produce such a vehicle and get it to market at competitive prices.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Huh? What on Earth would make you think they don't have a Tesla in China?

I just figured they got the technical information somehow without having the car there since they managed to copy our YF-22 without having physical possession of the jet.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

In 1958 Toyota imported 287 Toyopet Crown sedans and 1 Land Cruiser. The experts laughed, again.

Everyone knew that neither effort would ever amount to anything at all. American journalists, auto industry experts and executives from the big 3 thought this was nothing less than an exercise in futility. How could a bug and a Japanese junk mobile ever compete against real cars and pickup trucks made right here in America by Americans.

Same with Korea when the first Excel arrived here in 1986. Who in their right mind would ever buy a Korean car? Not a chance, the experts repeated. Korea will never make a car of the quality demanded by American buyers. The experts were right on their game, as usual.

And China? Never happen. The experts agree, again. I wonder if they're getting tired of always being correct.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I couldn't have said it any better.

As I said on another thread the situation with the Chinese is completely different.
The Japanese and Koreans made great cars at low prices and after the first few curious people bought them, word got out that they were actually rather good. This made skeptics try them and then they were impressed too.
The Chinese on the other hand, pump out absolute garbage at an even lower price just to undercut everyone else, people fall for the low prices and soon learn they made a mistake. There have been a few Chinese car companies entering these past few years here, people gave them a chance, hoping like you said it would turn out to be a similar story to the Japanese and Koreans, but it just wasn't. Now Anyone who bought a chinese car can't even give it away let alone sell it second hand. China has ruined their own reputation with substandard products therefore will never end up in the same boat as the Japanese and Koreans

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

As I said on another thread the situation with the Chinese is completely different.

Actually it's very similar.

Japan used to be known for junk products - then they started listening to Deming.

They have been extraordinarily successful at shedding that image.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Actually it's very similar.

Japan used to be known for junk products - then they started listening to Deming.

They have been extraordinarily successful at shedding that image.

I don't believe the Chinese will ever shed that reality. I think with our new global economy and new shorter market cycles as a result, China might fall into a deep depression before it ever really gets going.

Besides, when you're a communist country, and don't let the rest of the world influence you, how the hecks you gonna turn your quality around? It can and won't be an inside job. China will fall on their face before they listen to the outside world.

China is not communist. I'm no poly-sci expert but when I go to China it's about as capitalistic as can be imagined.

"China has ruined their own reputation with substandard products therefore will never end up in the same boat as the Japanese and Koreans"

All I can say is, "never" is a long time and people have short memories.

The first Korean car to arrive in Canada was the Hyundai Pony in 1983. I would wager it turned off more buyers than it brought in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Pony

Last edited:
Given that electric cars were here in the U.S. in 1904, its an old concept for a car. The styling looks pretty swoopy-jaguaresque generic too. I'm not sure what patents from Tesla they might be violating, maybe none.
Knickers should not be twisted every time somebody produces another electric car.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
China is not communist. I'm no poly-sci expert but when I go to China it's about as capitalistic as can be imagined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

Quote:
China, officially the People's Republic of China (PRC), is a sovereign state in East Asia. It is the world's most populous country, with a population of over 1.35 billion. The PRC is a single-party state governed by the Chinese Communist Party, with its seat of government in the capital city of Beijing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back