Gates timing belt kit: Chinese-made water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
That's weird and interesting about the Aisin pump, I have installed at least 10 in my life on both my Toyota, Honda and friend's cars. The ones I've seen have been practically works of art and are finely finished. I hope Aisin isn't going downhill as they have been my go-to for water pumps.

Same here, i never saw one that was poorly finished, all the ones i have used were very nicely finished with zero casting flash or rough spots and properly machined sealing surfaces.

I'm wondering if the water pump Gates includes is decent as well - for my application the belt is made in the US, the tensioner and idler pulleys are made in Japan by NTN and Koyo but the water pump is made in China - the Aisin kit isn't much more...

On the Subie forums the recommendation is to not run the Gates water pump and only run the OEM. Only get the Gates kit without the pump.

As others have stated. Gates is reliable for belts and tensioners. Never for their water pumps.

I also vote for the Aisin water pumps! I had one put in my old hatchback a couple years ago. It was pristine in quality. It was "Made in Japan".

Curious about the one you bought. Pics?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back