Anyone Download Windows 10 Yet? Thoughts ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I want to hear from guys who have downloaded Windows 10 as soon as it hit the download que. What I've read makes is sound really good. I'll upgrade for free after I hear the good and bad.

I'm waiting for it to start downloading. Nothing so far. I even found a procedure to force the download to start, alas it didn't work.

Yes I am up an running.
I had to uninstall a couple Programs and re download them but almost everything works great.

Games run fine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You can download entire operating systems now? What happened to having to buy the install DVD ?

They went out with ILSAC 10w-30 stuff, at least install CDs did.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
You can download entire operating systems now? What happened to having to buy the install DVD ?

They went out with ILSAC 10w-30 stuff, at least install CDs did.
wink.gif

LOL

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Anyone using Chrome on 10?

Downloaded Windows 10 last night. I took about 1 hour to install. Running Chrome as I type this reply. No noted issues yet.

Welcome to the 21st century.

First minor wrinkle. I had to disable fast startup due to when I did a shutdown on my laptop, the usb port retained power and the chill fan on my laptop continued to run. To be fair I had the same problem with 8.1 when the computer was new.

Other than this little issue, I had a fairly smooth transition from 8.1 to 10.

I'm running Windows 10 right now. I had planned to convert my development machine to Windows 10 in the near future but my Windows 8.1 installation actually took a dive on Windows 10 launch day (if I had a tinfoil hat I could postulate a few theories about that coincidence) so I'm running it earlier than expected. So far no issues. It's running all of my games and development software perfectly.

I can confirm the following run fine: Visual Studio 2013, SQL Server 2014, Source Tree, Office, Skype, Spotify, Chrome, Steam, and Crashplan.

EDIT: I just remembered the only hiccup I did have was with the Nvidia drivers. I tried to install the Win10 driver immediately and it failed. I had to let Microsoft install it's generic driver before I could install the Nvidia driver. Kind of weird but in the end didn't cause any issues.

Last edited:
Very happy with my 8.1 and concerned about MS reputation of early out and 1,000s of patches later. I think I'll wait 6 months or so and see what falls out. Ed

I haven't loaded it yet, but I'm getting tired of not being able to delete or uninstall the GWX files / folders while running windows 7. If you end process on GWX.exe, it pops back up in a matter of seconds.

Having all type of problems with the daughters 8.1 machine trying to find this update. Everything says it should pop up as a taskbar icon, but it isnt. Working through the microsoft troubleshooter and everything looks right. I am assuming "OEM" windows license is valid for this upgrade?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Very happy with my 8.1 and concerned about MS reputation of early out and 1,000s of patches later. I think I'll wait 6 months or so and see what falls out. Ed

My Win 7 is solid (kiss of death), so +1

Last edited:
Its set to download to the wife laptop. See how I like it and give it some time like you others. Before it goes on the desktop that I built

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I haven't loaded it yet, but I'm getting tired of not being able to delete or uninstall the GWX files / folders while running windows 7. If you end process on GWX.exe, it pops back up in a matter of seconds.

Windows 7 is very protective if instillation files. You have to get sole and complete ownership of the files to delete them.

This is done through explorer. Click on the drive or folder and then go to Security, edit permissions. It can be pretty frustrating.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Having all type of problems with the daughters 8.1 machine trying to find this update. Everything says it should pop up as a taskbar icon, but it isnt. Working through the microsoft troubleshooter and everything looks right. I am assuming "OEM" windows license is valid for this upgrade?

I assume the Win 8.1 has been registered? My new HP laptop with Win 8 on it and upgraded to Win 8.1 has it. Maybe you can get the answer here.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/w...eserve_mod1_faq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back