Anyone ever use PETROMERICA oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. No starburst is a big concern to me too. I would not purchase a oil without one unless it was one like RP or Amsoil. This may well be fine and good but I would like to see the API approval and ilsac on the bottle too.

I guess none of you guys ride motorcycles, because I haven't seen a "motorcycle specific oil" that has a API starburst symbol on the bottle. They will state they meet or exceed a given spec, but aren't tested by the API to prove they do.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I guess none of you guys ride motorcycles, because I haven't seen a "motorcycle specific oil" that has a API starburst symbol on the bottle. They will state they meet or exceed a given spec, but aren't tested by the API to prove they do.,,,

Meets or Exceeds (vs "exceeds SN certification classification") is fine for the API approval. The big boys are all able to self-certify anyways. I don't know if the doughnut is required if you are certifying to an obsolete spec like SM or SL. The product in the OP is claiming something regarding SN, which is current.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_1_Motorcycle_Oils.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.aspx

You'll note both of the above PDS's say "meets or exceeds" for the API approvals.

This bottle of GC for example, which is API SM, doesn't show the doughnut:

5092a04568d08.jpg

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I guess none of you guys ride motorcycles, because I haven't seen a "motorcycle specific oil" that has a API starburst symbol on the bottle.

Some will, however, have an API Donut on the back, because a motorcycle oil can have current API certification without being GF-5. I would be extremely cautious. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 has no Starburst on the front, since a CJ-4 oil cannot meet GF-5. It does, however, have an API Donut on the back and is SN certified.

Why would they order new packaging without certification marks only to eventually have to order new, redesigned packaging with certification marks? This is why we have API and ILSAC certification along with proper labeling, to avoid these concerns, which are extremely difficult to resolve. If the PQIA tested this oil, no matter how good it were, it would be flagged for improper labeling.

I would look this up on the PQIA website and see if it is one of those banned oils or one that has been flagged as not meeting current specifications. I went to the PQIA site and was astounded at how many bad oils there are out there. I would check this out very carefully before using. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back