Chinese-built Volvo Will Come to US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I don't care if it was made in an Asian country, I care that it was made in a COMMUNIST Asian country with no regards for the freedom and safety of its own people nor the people that buy their products.

I try to avoid things built in Red China as much as possible. Not only because of the mixed bag that is quality, but plain and simple ideology.

you bring a different issue here. why china was allowed to WTO in the first place?

but it's politics (and corruption) story.

The Chinese can and do build to any quality standard a contract may specify. If you get junk it's the purchasing agent's doing.

As an example there's a company here that orders tapered centerless ground hollow pins from a Chinese company that come through absolutely perfect every time, held to an almost impossible tolerance. The rejection rate here has been almost zero for the past 2 years. During the assembly process here you can drop the pins into place and they slide in perfectly once the assembly is at the proper temperature. Only one other company in the world can hit these specs and that one is in Germany and they are now the backup supplier.

Not Volvo, but China.

I can buy a ute in Oz (Foton Tunland), which is assembled with the Chinese supplied OEM equipment from all the majors.

Cummins engine
http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/4971326.pdf
ZF gearbox/Tx Case
Dana diffs

Assemblies made at the Cummins, ZF, and Dana chinese factories, and all jammed into one vehicle...that's half the price of a Hilux.

There's no reason to replace my 12 year old Nissan, but if I DO get a reason, it's going to be considered.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why is this a reason to not buy Volvo?

Because the Chinese steal technology and have no regard for patent law?

Who else sells cars built in China? I think it will tarnish the brand.

Will the price reflect the bargain basement assembly labor rate and Parts?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The Chinese can and do build to any quality standard a contract may specify. If you get junk it's the purchasing agent's doing.

As an example there's a company here that orders tapered centerless ground hollow pins from a Chinese company that come through absolutely perfect every time, held to an almost impossible tolerance. The rejection rate here has been almost zero for the past 2 years. During the assembly process here you can drop the pins into place and they slide in perfectly once the assembly is at the proper temperature. Only one other company in the world can hit these specs and that one is in Germany and they are now the backup supplier.

I absolutely agree, problem is that with a complex machine like a car, there is no way for the final owner to know what kind of QC the product went through and there is no way for him/her to verify that the car was in fact made to the spec.

Now, we all know that the automotive business is ruthless and the profit margins are extremely thin. So compromises will be made, despite the entire PR the Geely puts out. I don't believe for one second that the Sweeds were given a free reign over Volvo. Things don't work that way in business, but they sure as heck are good at convincing the public of that.

Deceit and misinformation is all part of corporate tool kit.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not Volvo, but China.

I can buy a ute in Oz (Foton Tunland), which is assembled with the Chinese supplied OEM equipment from all the majors.

Cummins engine
http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/4971326.pdf
ZF gearbox/Tx Case
Dana diffs

Assemblies made at the Cummins, ZF, and Dana chinese factories, and all jammed into one vehicle...that's half the price of a Hilux.

There's no reason to replace my 12 year old Nissan, but if I DO get a reason, it's going to be considered.

But I reckon it's still a rip off to say what we pay for a Great Wall or Foton would sit you in an F-150 in the US, I know which I'd prefer...

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
But I reckon it's still a rip off to say what we pay for a Great Wall or Foton would sit you in an F-150 in the US, I know which I'd prefer...

If we are going down that road, I'm driving a Hellcat Charger.

Here in Oz, the foton is half the price of a 2003 model F150, or 20% of the price of a 2014 F150 Raptor...and it's brand new.

As an example there's a company here that orders tapered centerless ground hollow pins from a Chinese company that come through absolutely perfect every time, held to an almost impossible tolerance.

Until that company starts making cars, we'll be stuck with lead paint Volvos.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
People still buy Volvo's?

Their heyday seemed to be in the mid 90's.

1996 to be exact. Top quality, great handling. the 850 wagon we owned was a really good car. Problem, my wife got hit by an unlicensed illegal driving a brand new pickup on the freeway at speed. The car did it's job, saved her from injury after being pushed through a guard rail and down over a steep bank. Her, not a scratch. Car, destroyed. The Volvo did it's job. At the time the possible replacements were Ford/Volvo's and they were not up to the old standards.

Originally Posted By: pbm

That they do, because their government does not care when their firms steal from others outside China. I imagine some American firms would steal likewise were it not for better law enforcement here.

The joke is on us when an American company with already high profit margins and great market share (like Cisco) takes manufacturing to China to fatten their bottom line even more.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Originally Posted By: pbm

That they do, because their government does not care when their firms steal from others outside China. I imagine some American firms would steal likewise were it not for better law enforcement here.

The joke is on us when an American company with already high profit margins and great market share (like Cisco) takes manufacturing to China to fatten their bottom line even more.

They steal because under Marxist-Leninist-Maoist ideology, there is no such thing as private property. Therefore any intellectual property belongs to "the people". That is why the most brilliant Soviet engineers and scientists were dirt poor where they would have been rich in the USA. For instance compare Kalashnikov to Eugene Stoner or Bill Ruger.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

If we are going down that road, I'm driving a Hellcat Charger.

Here in Oz, the foton is half the price of a 2003 model F150, or 20% of the price of a 2014 F150 Raptor...and it's brand new.

The foton tractors here are about 2/3 the price of a common brand, but from my reading they aren't worth the savings unless you can repair/re-engineer them yourself. Some guys do love them and don't mind working on them a bit to make them work better, but that's not most car buyers.
That said, there are JD tractors made in India and China that seem to be fine, so if the design and QC are sound, they can make something half decent.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
People still buy Volvo's?

Their heyday seemed to be in the mid 90's.

1996 to be exact. Top quality, great handling. the 850 wagon we owned was a really good car. Problem, my wife got hit by an unlicensed illegal driving a brand new pickup on the freeway at speed. The car did it's job, saved her from injury after being pushed through a guard rail and down over a steep bank. Her, not a scratch. Car, destroyed. The Volvo did it's job. At the time the possible replacements were Ford/Volvo's and they were not up to the old standards.

That's kind of what I figured. I'll move back to wanting a good American car now a Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back