Rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we live in a rural area, from time to time we'll get a dog or cat that wanders onto our doorstep, usually from some knuckledragger that drops them off "out in the country".

A couple weeks ago this guy showed up and sort of adopted our place. We've been making certain he's fed and has water available. We haven't actually caught him yet, but he's docile/domesticated enough that he'll take blueberries out of my wife's hand and doesn't shy away when the dogs bark at him (which drives the dogs nuts).

I have a live trap that I'm going to use this weekend so we can take him to the Animal Rescue League-while he's doing fine now I doubt that he'd survive the winter.

Any idea what breed of rabbit he is?

you could always eat him! Rabbit is so delicious! grill it up with rice and have "Cornejo Asada" you wont regret it. Just don't tell your wife its rabbit. Tell her it's chicken.

Last edited:
I can't help you on the breed, but I have to commend you on your restraint- I have much fouler words for people that dump critters in the country. I've seen more than my fair share as I've lived out in rural Boone County all but the first two years of my life.

My mom used to "adopt" most all of them. My wife and I have caught many dogs and cats and turned them over to the Humane Society- but never a bunny. It is a cute little critter though.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
you could always eat him! Rabbit is so delicious! grill it up with rice and have "Cornejo Asada" you wont regret it. Just don't tell your wife its rabbit. Tell her it's chicken.

While I wouldn't have a problem with wild rabbit, around here we sort of frown on eating pets, and this was clearly someone's pet-pretty much on par with a dog or cat. There's a line there that I won't cross, but clearly you and I have different values.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Surprised the 'Yotes haven't had dinner yet...

There are some in the area, but they don't come anywhere near the property.

That's a good point, but I don't know if their numbers are down in our area or what because I've noticed more rabbits this year than in quite a while. I also have heard the coyotes chattering at night like I have the last few years.

I hope your only joking. This is someones pet...if it was a wild rabbit then maybe.

Nothing like walking up to a cute little defenseless animal that you shot with an arrow or gun that is trembling because you severed its spinal cord as it's lying there suffering in pain.

Yeah that would make me feel like a real man. I'd really want to skin and throw that piece of meat on the grill. I got that 1.5 lb animal.

Not sure of breed, but it's female. You can tell by the dewlap....which is the roll under her jaw. So, she is likely pregnant if wandering around.

Be careful not to remove her from the area if you see fur missing from her. This was used to build a nest and babies need their Mom.

You think you're shocking? I went to China and ate part of a dog. Sleep nice tonight.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Not sure of breed, but it's female. You can tell by the dewlap....which is the roll under her jaw. So, she is likely pregnant if wandering around.

Be careful not to remove her from the area if you see fur missing from her. This was used to build a nest and babies need their Mom.

If she's still pregnant, then does it matter if she is removed from the area? Your wording is a bit confusing.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Any idea what breed of rabbit he is?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a Satin. It could be mixed-breed, of course.

I once ended up with an indoor rabbit. It was actually pretty cool. I had thought people with rabbits in their home were a little nutty, but it was a great pet. Litter trained very easily, and would meet me at the door every time I came home from work.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

While I wouldn't have a problem with wild rabbit, around here we sort of frown on eating pets, and this was clearly someone's pet-pretty much on par with a dog or cat. There's a line there that I won't cross, but clearly you and I have different values.

There are some in the area, but they don't come anywhere near the property.
YET!

A co-worker had a friend who found a similar bunny in their back yard. Obviously someone's pet, and they put up signs and contacted the local animal rescue league to see if anyone had reported it missing. When they had no response, my wife and I took it and named him Humphrey. This was in 2004. Sadly, he passed away 2 years ago. He was a great friend.

Please either adopt him/her yourself or try to find it a good home.

BTW, it looks like an English Spot mix...

Sending it to animal rescue just so they can euthanize it makes no sense to me.
My dog catches the rabbits that run loose around here. Couldn't believe it until I saw him chase one down. He seems to have a sense about when they are going to make their erratic turns and wipes them out at full speed.
While they are rolling he uses his paws like hands til he can chomp. Surprisingly enough he keeps them alive for awhile. Like a cat with a mouse.
And these are big jack rabbits. They aren't as quick as the smaller ones.

Anyways I say eat him. Feed it to the dogs for a treat. The shelter is just going to put it down anyways. No one wants adult rabbits.
Or you can put up a notice saying you've trapped what looks like a pet. Give the owner a chance before allowing your carnivores to eat like one.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I once ended up with an indoor rabbit. It was actually pretty cool. I had thought people with rabbits in their home were a little nutty, but it was a great pet. Litter trained very easily, and would meet me at the door every time I came home from work.

My wife had an indoor bunny rabbit as a pet when she was a kid. They had a pen for it, but they'd let it out for hours during the day -- it would use the cats' litter box just fine. I'd have a rabbit for a pet.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sending it to animal rescue just so they can euthanize it makes no sense to me.

They probably will euthanize it. Pop_Rivit, I bet you could post a "for free" ad on your local Craigslist or newspaper and you'd have no trouble finding someone who would like a rabbit as a pet.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pop_Rivet, I wish you would keep the rabbit and take care of him.

"George, when can I pet the bunnies? The bunnies George?" - Lenny (Of Mice and Men)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back