Topping off a Honda with 5W-30 or 10W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Hondas take 5W-20 or 0W-20, but would it make a difference to the engine if one topped off the oil with 5W-30 or 10W-30?

I would not think the engine would notice or care, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
In this heat, not one bit. Probably not even in the dead of winter, unless you top it off with 3qts.............
5W 30 IS a good winter oil.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: oldhp
In this heat, not one bit. Probably not even in the dead of winter, unless you top it off with 3qts.............
5W 30 IS a good winter oil.

an 0w20....would even be better.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I know Hondas take 5W-20 or 0W-20, but would it make a difference to the engine if one topped off the oil with 5W-30 or 10W-30?

Thanks.

What year and model Honda? I don't think it makes a difference.

You could use a -30 year-around and no problem. Your cam lobes and ring pack would just see more hydrodynamic with a -30 over a -20, that's all.

In general, it's going to be fine.

But in specific, there are so many questions to ask on what goal you're thinking you're going to get by doing this, and if that procedure actually accomplishes that goal.

1) what is the OCI, what oil did you use. Is it the book recommendation or you doing your own thing?
2) what is the consumption rate that causes you to need to top off.
3) How much are you topping off. How low is the dipstick.
4) How much further are you going before your OCI on your top off, or are multiple top offs needed for your OCI?

On a trip last weekend, our newer Accord developed a serious oil filter leak involving either the base gasket or the baseplate crimping, not sure which.
For around 300 miles, I topped it off with four quarts total of 10W-40, which I figured would maybe slow down the blow rate and would do no harm in warm weather highway cruising.
The car did use a pigish 9.5 gallons over 307 miles when I filled it with $2.159 gas at our destination, right after doing an oil change with PP 0W-20 and an M1 oil filter.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Thanks.

It wont matter at all, especially in the summer. In Central America everything gets either 10w30 or 20w50 and there are a ton of hondas there. My friend who lives there has a 2001 civic and he has always ran 20w50 in it.

Im not recommending that to anyone here, im just stating that you will in fact do no harm by adding oil that is thicker than a 20wt.

As I mentioned is a recent previous post (to some debate)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3802308/1

In Australia (according to the Shell and Castrol web sites), the 2015 Honda Jazz takes 5W30, the 2015 Honda Odyssey with 2.4L VTEC takes 5W30, the 2011 Civic Sport takes 5W40, the 2012 Civic Hybrid takes 10W30, 2015 Accord V6 3.5L VTEC takes 5W30,…..

For some cars (e.g. 2012 Honda Accord Euro 2.4L ) they offer a choice, either 0W-20 or 10W-40.

I think you will fine with a xW30 top up in a Honda.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What filter was on there that was leaking?

Made in USA K&N white can.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Did you use that big nut to tighten it with?
grin2.gif

It won't matter to top up with either oil. I mean if you have half a qt. laying around of 5W30 or 10W30 and need a half a qt. of oil go for it. Normally if I have to add oil I would add what I used last time I changed the oil.

I'll be using 5w-20 to top off 5w-30 with no worry...same brand synthetic though, PP, with compatible add-pack...here in Florida, I've also used 10w-30 to top up 5w-30 for a few thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Did you use that big nut to tighten it with?
grin2.gif

A big nut tightened mine. I have now learned better on BITOG.
blush.gif

And Merkava, after reading Oil 101 twice and reading as much as I have on here.....I am drifting toward the light side as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back