08 ford fusion 2.3, m1ep 5w20, 10k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this isnt my car but i take care of it so i wondered a while ago if i was doing the right thing in regards to oci. after the first oil change i was using m1 5w20 with 10K intervals, at some point switching to m1ep. well i guess i was doing ok all this time.

BONUS!!1! i wondered where the insolubles came from, then i remembered about a month before i did the oil change i used a can of seafoam to clean the intake and throttle body. well thats my best guess anyway.

POSSIBLE FUTURE BONUS!!!1!! up until now the car had the stock oil filter, the motorcraft fl-2017-b cartridge type. the day i changed the oil i installed a filter housing from an older 2.3 i got tired of that mess every time, now im running the fl-910. hopefully i can get a few more oci's out of this car before it gets traded, i really wanna see if anything changes. i read on here, i think, that the cartridge filters were good to 40 micron and the canisters were good to 20 micron. unless i dreamed it.

sqcz2Bi.png

You are doing OK with 10k oil changes. TBN was strong, wear metals were at the averages per 1k miles.
I don't know why you think the canister oil filter would be better. Just running a Fram ToughGuard TG cartridge oil filter would have gotten you 99% at 20 microns performance. Canister in a TG should be about the same.
I like your choice of an Extended Performance synthetic, as the price is so close to other synthetics that you might as well.

If this engine was using conventional oils in the past, I bet the insolubles are result of synthetic still cleaning it, because the mg sulfonate take a while to lift deposits, but when it starts ...

Or, you took a cold (settling out the carbons/oxidation in the bottom of the sump) and initial squirt sample (?), full of dislodged deposits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back