Just got back from Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
and looked at the oil selection every time we bought fuel. The dominant viscosity everywhere we stopped for diesel fuel was 15W40. I found this interesting in light of the claims on this forum that CAFE standards have impacted oil choice in the US. I'm not suggesting that this is definitive proof and make no judgment regarding whether the movement to lighter oil in the US is a good or bad development.

Plus, since Ireland is around 80 miles top to bottom and 40 East to West, less miles driven = less impact due to fuel economy. People in Montana regularly drive 2-3 hours to go visit someone.

I was there about 9 years ago. Had a Renault Laguna with a manual trans for a rental car. Slowest vehicle I've ever driven, but the stick made it fun.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
No commentary on what fuel costs? How about how much better you liked the cars?

Our daughter and son in law went with us and he did most of the driving. The car was a 2 series BMW hatchback that I did drive enough to know that I wasn't impressed. We got an automatic figuring that driving on the left was change enough (neither of us have driven manuals on a regular basis for quite some time). Diesel was just over $5 per gallon but considering how small the country is we spent less than 100 Euros on fuel for the whole trip. Compared to the cost of the trip, fuel didn't amount to much more than a spit in the bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back