Bought my first jug of 0w-20 and wow is it thin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
My 2015 Accord Sport is going to need its first oil change real soon, so I picked up some Mobil 1 EP and a Fram XG filter from the local soul-sucking Walmart. My previous Impreza and my wife's Corolla both use 5w-30 which already seems a bit thin to a guy who grew up putting 10w-40 in a succession disco-era Chevys, but 0w-20 feels like it's about as viscous as water! I know it's able to do the job and modern motors are designed to use it, but jeez, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how that's possible.

Just observing, move along...

Hondas call for a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil, that is what they are designed to use.

You didn't HAVE to buy oil from the soul sucking Walmart, there are PLENTY of other auto parts places that sell oil and filters.

How about the "soul sucking" AA, AZ, O'Reilly's Napa, etc? Or Target, K Mart, and Costco?

I'd consider AA,AZ,Oreilly,etc "Wallet sucking" :p

You didn't HAVE to buy oil from the soul sucking Walmart, there are PLENTY of other auto parts places that sell oil and filters.

Thanks?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
My 2015 Accord Sport is going to need its first oil change real soon, so I picked up some Mobil 1 EP and a Fram XG filter from the local soul-sucking Walmart. My previous Impreza and my wife's Corolla both use 5w-30 which already seems a bit thin to a guy who grew up putting 10w-40 in a succession disco-era Chevys, but 0w-20 feels like it's about as viscous as water! I know it's able to do the job and modern motors are designed to use it, but jeez, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how that's possible.

Just observing, move along...

How about the "soul sucking" AA, AZ, O'Reilly's Napa, etc? Or Target, K Mart, and Costco?

So all retail stores that sell oil and filters are "soul sucking"?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What's the engine sound like while it's running on 0W-20 ?

clickety clack....clickety clack....clickety clack....clickety clack....
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick....

LOL

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
For me, I've never been able to wrap my mind about America's love affair with high viscosity motor oils. It just does not compute.

I remember back in the '60's, when single viscosity oils were still quite commonly used, my father used only SAE20 in his cars. My father bought almost all of his cars new, and drove most of them until they were ready for the junk yard. But he never had an engine failure in any of his cars.

You have to temper that with the fact that the monograde 20s were typically the same HTHS as a modern day ILSAC 30.

2.9 is typical for a dino non-viied 20 grade, and was made the 30 grade minimum only after they found that the "new" multigrades weren't working as well as their KVs would suggest.

So while some on the board claim that Redline are really "the next grade up", the multigrades are typically "the next grade down" in HTHS.
Min HTHS for a 30 is typically what an SAE20 was out of the ground.
Min HTHS for a 40 is typical of an SAE 30.

AND those cars ran no more than a 180* thermostat, plus most didn't have A/C so oil temps were lower...

In Australia (according to the Shell and Castrol web sites), the 2015 Honda Jazz takes 5W30, the 2015 Honda Odyssey with 2.4L VTEC takes 5W30, the 2011 Civic Sport takes 5W40, the 2012 Civic Hybrid takes 10W30, …

For some cars (e.g. 2012 Honda Accord Euro 2.4L ) they offer a choice, either 0W-20 or 10W-40. Choose your poison.

To be honest, I've never even seen a bottle of 0W20 or 5W20 on the shelfs at the auto stores I go to. I'm sure it's around if I look hard enough, but it's not very common. According to their web site, Castrol Australia doesn't even sell a 5W20 or 0W20 oil in this country.

I suspect it's only a matter of time, and soon the American specification will become the Australian (or global) specification by default. We are too small a market here. But i'm not yet convinced it's for pure engineering reasons. Not saying using it is a bad thing or a mistake, just saying we have many of the same cars as you, and we and not yet told to use such light oils. (Again, I'm sure there are one or two exceptions if you look hard enough).

SR5. Are you aware that vehicles built for different continents and countries often come with different engine tuning?

A good friend of mine was contracted by Chrysler as a consultant for engine tuning. He was involved in the tuning of (petrol) engines for European fuels and conditions. Because of his work and position he was influential in the engine oil to be used in these European engines as well.

It is more complicated than just pieces of metal turning on each other.

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
SR5. Are you aware that vehicles built for different continents and countries often come with different engine tuning?

A good friend of mine was contracted by Chrysler as a consultant for engine tuning. He was involved in the tuning of (petrol) engines for European fuels and conditions. Because of his work and position he was influential in the engine oil to be used in these European engines as well.

If you say that Americans are getting neutered engines and therefore not needing the viscosity, I'm sure that you will get a response worse than saying CAFE has something to do with it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I started using M1 5-20 in the 70's in an engine calling for 10-40. Your fine.

Now this would scare me. What made you decide to do this anyways?

If it scares you, how about I used PP 5W20 in my E430. The oil spec is A3/B3 and M1 0W40 is on 229.3-229.5. With PP 5W20 in crankcase I drove to Vegas in July 2008, got stuck at Death Valley for 3 hours with temperature above 120F. Engine was/is fine with PP 5W20.

Ehh. What engine did it have?

A lot of gas fords are fine with 5w20.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: LubeLuke

If you say that Americans are getting neutered engines and therefore not needing the viscosity, I'm sure that you will get a response worse than saying CAFE has something to do with it.

Shannow, it must be because we drive on the left, plus the Coriolis effect spins the oil the other way in our sump, that allows us to run a 5W30 in the same engine that they run a 0w20 in. Even with the same power output.

You would probably be able to explain it much better than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back