Quick lube shop left the old filter on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was a good deal in my neck of the woods, and to me.
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: Jake54
I actually am with this shop, My buddy is the manager, and they've always done a very good job otherwise and have given me great VIP price breaks. for instance I had a simular deal with my car about a month ago,
5.5qts new oil, tire rotation and balance, top off fluids, check alignment, and they plugged up a slow leak on one of my tires... all for $30!!
I know they actually did what they charged me for that time because I watched them.

So you are "with" a shop that ripped you off?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Sorry Virtus_Probi, its just that when you suggest changing an oil filter without turning the engine off first, I lost it. Looks like I hurt your feelings.

Ummm...you were the one who made light of me asking if the OP could quickly switch his old oil filter out and put a new one in while the car is off and not have a big mess...I honestly don't know the answer, that's why I asked.
I could point you to an oil additive manufacturer that recommends its product be added through the fill point (I understand pulling the fill cap and the oil filter are different things with possibly different effects) while the engine is running, if possible...the idea of even trying that blew my mind.

No feelings hurt, just kind of like having Peter Dinklage mosey on up to me and call me a shrimp. Had to chuckle and rebroadcast...

I changed just the filter on an 4.6 and lost approximately three pints.

I wasnt too sure what would happen. The whole engine couldve drained afaiknew, but apparently the adbv held a quart, plus the pint capacity of the filter = 3 pints.

A 4.6 Ford?? Impossible to loose three pints(I've changed probably 50 of those)... The ADV is inside the filter and just holds what's in the filter... If you changed just after a cold start and shut off, then possibly oil still in the galleys would dump out the oil feed opening, normally flowing into block(still be far less than a Quart)... Never tried that, every filter I've pulled has been on a hot engine, oil drains from galleys into pan within three or four minutes...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
05 hyundai tucson 2.0L

If it's the same filter location like on this 2.0 Elantra, then it'll likely be a fairly messy job...

I'm not sure how you call that "messy". When I changed oil, I'd of been happy to do that car all day long...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
So it's messy? Please. He paid for an oil and filter change and that is no excuse.

WTH does that have to do with anything? He asked if he'd be able to just swap the filter on his own without draining the oil from the engine first. So that's what I was responding to.

Ah ok my apologies for misinterpreting what you said.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I left the filter on a 2001 honda crv for a good 20k oci because its is a huge pain in the [censored] to reach. no issues. it was totaled from a drunk driver rear ending it.
Not changing the oil filter causes drunks to rear end the car.

05 hyundai tucson 2.0L

If it's the same filter location like on this 2.0 Elantra, then it'll likely be a fairly messy job...

I don't see how this is messy? Looks super easy to me!

I changed the oil and filter. The oil had almost 3k on it. Was long enough for me to just change out.

Yeah, I always say a person should change their oil early every 3rd year or so and call it a "Cleaning Oil Change", maybe gets more deposits washed out that way. Of course engine flushes are another way to do that if you're into that.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
I changed the oil and filter. The oil had almost 3k on it. Was long enough for me to just change out.

Yeah, I always say a person should change their oil early every 3rd year or so and call it a "Cleaning Oil Change", maybe gets more deposits washed out that way. Of course engine flushes are another way to do that if you're into that.

Never used flushes, the way I look at it the oil is more that enough to clean any of my engines because I never let them go that bad. I might just get a few quarts of the cheapest SN oil I can find, run about a 1.5K oci, and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
100% your fault for not DIY oil change.

That's a little unfair to say that. When you pay for a service, you get it. Every time.

I agree that the statement is unfair. Jake54 is not at fault for what happened.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I've never been to one of those quick lube places, but I would imagine that they leave the old filter on pretty often.

They will also STRIP your oil plug threads and not tell you.. Or even put in one of them univeral slap jobs to repair what they caused.

I work at a part store and I have heard some nasty things about them fast lube change places.

I used to have a supercharged cobalt, and i would never take something like that to a quick lube. It was a major pita to change the cartrige filter. Had to pull the intake, a sensor or two, and needed to use a special short 32mm socket, a universal, and an extension to get to it. The can would never fully drain so you made a huge mess everytime. I bet there were lots of filters left in those cars.

You're going to get ripped off at any quick oil change place ninety percent of the time. Last place on earth I would take a vehicle for service. Include Firestone .

The local Ford Quick Lane will match other dealer specials for oil changes but NOT the tire and other quick lube places. I get deals from the toyo dealer and take the cars to the QL.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
If I owned a Mini Cooper, I'd ask for video evidence and a witness for an oil filter change. That one is so bad, I don't believe most would do it.

"full"?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I've never been to one of those quick lube places, but I would imagine that they leave the old filter on pretty often.
It's part of their high tech inventory system...."Hey Joe, we don't have one" "Well, just clean off the old one, the dweeb will never know".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Hey Joe, we don't have one" "Well, just clean off the old one, the dweeb will never know".

It's true. 99% of "quickie" lube customers would not know if their filter was actually replaced.

Back in my collage days, I worked at a couple of quick lubes on weekends. I'm not going to say everything was totally 100% "by the book". I could tell you some good (and funny) stories. Most involve "impossible to please" customers.

But shenanigans like not replacing the oil filter were simply not tolerated!

Maybe things have changed...

(btw, I never, ever, not one time saw anyone install a drain plug with an impact gun)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back