Added 2 stroke oil to 4 stroke boat motor - oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally added 2 quarts of 2-stroke oil directly into our 4-stroke 100HP Mercury motor. It was not mixed with the gas – it went directly into the motor. The good news (I think) is that there was already a fair amount of 4-stroke oil in the crankshaft – it was about half full already. Do I need to drain it all and replace with 4-stroke only, or can I just let it run its course and gradually add more 4-stroke to decrease the ratio? (I’m a newbie to boat maintenance, if you can’t tell... taking over for my husband - so go easy on my lack of knowledge!)

I would definitely drain it out and replace with the correct oil. 2 cycle oil has a completely different composition than regular motor oil.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
I would definitely drain it out and replace with the correct oil. 2 cycle oil has a completely different composition than regular motor oil.

+1 Drain and replace with the proper 4 stroke oil.
It would be an interesting experiment to run, 2 stoke oil in a 4 stroke motor, but not with your expensive boat motor...

Absolutely drain the crankcase and refill with the proper oil before running the engine. I would consult Mercury for the recommended oil if you do not have the owner's manual available.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, replace ASAP.

Last edited:
I hate to recommend throwing good oil away, but I'd personally be wary of running the engine with this mix of oils.
That MolaKule is recommending that it be replaced ASAP would convince me to get it out of there.

Thank you, everyone. Unfortunately, we did run the motor for about a half hour. Hopefully I haven't caused damage.

Is the filter OK (is there a filter? I assume so) or do I need to replace that too?

Thanks, JRMason. It was changed last fall, I wouldn't plan to do it yet. I was really wondering if it needed to be changed *based on* the 2 cycle oil intrusion...

Originally Posted By: lbry9062
Thank you, everyone. Unfortunately, we did run the motor for about a half hour. Hopefully I haven't caused damage.

Its fine, keep in mind the base oil is the same stuff, but I would change it out

No damage done. Change out the oil and filter then use the proper oil and call it a flush cycle !!!

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Its fine, keep in mind the base oil is the same stuff, but I would change it out

Not true.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Not true.

You're right, the 2 stroke probably has a better base oil.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Not true.

You're right, the 2 stroke probably has a better base oil.

That's not the real concern.

The add pack is insufficient for a four-stroke and the base oil mix is not a proper mix.

change it. There is little chance of damage in short term use. Since many 2S oils are diluted, the dilutant burns off and the level will fall fast.

Long term, there are no PH buffers, no detergents, it will not be good.

Rod

change it out immediately!!! 2-stroke oil will start to burn off and leave carbon deposits all throughout the engine! your oil passages might clog up which inhibits flow, reduces lubrication, reduces engine cooling, and causes wear! 2-stroke oil flash point
is much lower than 4-stroke oil...

do a flushing oil change to get the remaining 2-stroke oil out...I'd say run it to warm oil and drain (and replace the filter); refill with your preferred 4-stroke oil & filter

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
change it. There is little chance of damage in short term use. Since many 2S oils are diluted, the dilutant burns off and the level will fall fast.

Long term, there are no PH buffers, no detergents, it will not be good.

Rod

JASO FD two cycle oil does have detergents (keeps powervalves clean). Nevertheless, agree that it's a poor oil for the four stroke outboard. Simply drain it and re-fill with correct oil. Half hour run time not ideal but all should be OK.

Last edited:
There are many detergents. Ones to keep a power valve in the exhaust is NOT the same as the ones that keep sludge suspended in the crank case.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back