Replacement oil filter seals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Eventually, one should learn not to over tighten after spending twelve bucks on new oil filters all the time. Put a mark on the filter, I put a smudge of dirty oil or grease on the end to reference.

+1

Found them! Dorman makes them, they are in every auto parts stores in the HELP! section. Who knew?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Found them! Dorman makes them, they are in every auto parts stores in the HELP! section. Who knew?

Wow, that's amazing. I doubt they sell many, but who knows. Maybe it's for those guys who remove their oil filter to empty the old oil out, and then reuse it for another OCI.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^ I can't tell what 2/3 to 3/4 turn is. . . I just turn it with my hand until it won't turn no more.
21.gif

Time to hand the keys over to Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I am assuming its for your WIX XP?

Buy a cheaper Pro Select, remove the gasket and throw away the filter.
grin.gif

Excellent idea! That's what I'll do! Thank you sir!
34.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I am assuming its for your WIX XP?

Buy a cheaper Pro Select, remove the gasket and throw away the filter.
grin.gif

Excellent idea! That's what I'll do! Thank you sir!
34.gif

Why are you changing out the base gasket? You gonna remove and dump the oil, then reinstall the filter for another run?

Sounds to me like you're not lubing the gasket (w/ new oil dabbed on a finger) before installing the filter. I always wipe down the oil filter mount after removal to clean off any old oil & crud. Then hand tighten mine until the filter stops, never had an issue in almost 40 years, and on many different vehicles. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Why are you changing out the base gasket?

It's dripping on my garage floor.

Originally Posted By: Kira
dishdude: Are you serious? Dorman markets oil filter seals? Kira

As serious as this thread!
banana2.gif

Over 11k posts contributed to this forum and you can't refrain yourself from over tightening a oil filter and your result is to buy oil filter gaskets? C'mom man!

Originally Posted By: stchman
Oil filter should be tightened 3/4 turn after it contacts filter base.

That sounds great but how do I know the very instant when the filter has contacted the filter base? That seal is all lubed up with fresh oil and that filter base on the block is pretty slippery too. You think maybe I could hold a flashlight on the other side of the filter and when I no longer see the light shining through, maybe that might be a good indication of when the filter has contacted the filter base?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: stchman
Oil filter should be tightened 3/4 turn after it contacts filter base.

That sounds great but how do I know the very instant when the filter contacts the filter base?

As soon as the can takes any resistance at all to turn. You could actually do it blind folded and be able to tell when resistance to turning starts.

As soon as the can takes any resistance at all to turn. You could actually do it blind folded and be able to tell when resistance to turning starts.

But if I did it blind folded, I wouldn't be able to see the Sharpie mark I got on the filter that indicates the beginning of the 3/4 turn. What they should do is come out with a degree wheel for oil filters like they have for timing your camshaft.

But if I did it blind folded, I wouldn't be able to see the Sharpie mark I got on the filter that indicates the beginning of the 3/4 turn. What they should do is come out with a degree wheel for oil filters like they have for timing your camshaft.

The old Frams used to have the indicator marks printed on the can!

Blind fold can come off once the filter is seated. Or, you can calibrate your wrist for 2/3 to 3/4 turn.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back