Anyone here make their own homemade bread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the girlfriend is getting a "itch" for making homemade bread. Her grandmother has tons of different styles, etc. even some really old loaf pans. Anyone here make their own homemade bread?

Are you asking about making it entirely by hand or by using a bread machine? We had a bread machine more than 10 years ago. Used it 20-30 times then just couldn't be bothered since it takes a few hours to make the bread.

I must admit fresh bread is sooooo delicious, but the end result is usually that you end up eating way to much of it, resulting in tighter pants. lol.

I make one entirely by hand and using 100% whole wheat flour with an only slightly wetter-than-normal baker's ratio. I use a formed bread pan because I need our bread to function as a sandwich bread for my daughters; else I'd make a boule with it. If you want to PM me I'd be happy to share the recipe with you.

Thanks guys and Uc50ic4 more: I am still looking through tons of recipes but will take you up on the recipe at a later time. Thank you guys

The only bread we have is homemade. I can use whatever flour I want (unbleached and whole wheat), and I can control the ingredients.

We usually make a couple loaves each week. It doesn't have the shelf life that store bought bread does, but it doesn't contain all the preservatives that store bought bread has.

We actually just got a bread maker for our wedding registry a couple weeks ago and we really enjoy using it.

Can't beat fresh baked bread.
Today in Toronto we had the hottest most humid day so far this year. The home baked bread can wait till autumn for us.

I bought an expensive zojirushi, but the wife didn't care for it.

We've gone to sourdough. Very little mechanical manipulation of the dough, because the acid does the work, and better taste at the tradeoff of a certain amount of inconsistency. A guy at'breadtopia' will sell you starter for a reasonable price and there is a group of people who will eventually send you some for free. (Google free sourdough and Carl).

We are partial to rye, partly because rye stays fresh (Google YouTube danish rye anders).

Lately we've been going to spelt bread.more mainstream less 'healthy' tasting if you know what I mean.

I'm on my 2nd Zojirushi bread machine. I make 10 PBJs a week for road food. I can make a good bread mix in about 3 minutes. 3 3/4 hrs later, its done. I can set it to be warm for breakfast. My current recipe is: 13 oz of warm water, 1/2 tsp salt (optional) 2 cups of white whole wheat, 2 1/4 cups of white. King Arthur flour, 1 1/2 tsp yeast. MDW,will make dough and make what ever shape bread she wants. Pizza too. The PB is crunchy and 100% peanuts, Latest J is lime marmalade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back