Toyota Venza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heard they were recently discontinued. Anyone own one. I am sure they may be some great deals on whatever is left on the lot. Bought one awhile back and love it, just hope it holds its value.

It is a Toyota, it will hold its value. Surprised they haven't sold that well as for vehicles in that size range it is pretty much the Venza and Edge. And the Edge is a great seller (we just bought one, too).

Is this the vehicle that is a Camry frame? With a VenA body on top of the frame? I am probably wrong; so I apologize in advance

Andrew

car51, you're right, the Venza is based on the Toyota K platform, same as the Camry.

Venza is a great car/cross-over/station-wagon/whatever. I noticed one time it has a lot of hip room. Toyota quality too.

Camry ALL TRAC never sold well,Camry wagon never sold well,Camry Solara never sold well,Camry-Venza never sold well.....where are they now? All discontinued.Maybe next time Toyota will just stick to the 4 door model and not try to expand the line.

NHGUY, just can't understand why at least the Solara and Venza didn't sell well enough for Toyota's goals. Sure the old Camry wagon was an ugly duckling. I guess not enough Solaras moved (although seems like you see a lot of them....) because it was a Camry trying to be a sports car, not "cool".
Venza not selling? I don't get it.

I always liked the Venza, I like the Camry ride and handling, with the space of an SUV. I'm a big fan of wagons in general though, so I might be a minority in the general public. I was not a fan of the CrossTour, the looks never grew on me.

Toyota forgot to call it an SUV and jack it up a half foot or so. People have been sold on the idea that a station wagon is no good and you must now accept SUV even if you never drive off paved roads.

A year ago we went shopping for a new Venza, came home with a new RAV4. Wife liked the size of the RAV better but beyond that the Venza has some odd styling details inside, it feels very close with the large center console and the rear/side visibility is lacking. I probably would still have bought the Venza but learned long ago LET WIFE PICK CAR.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Camry ALL TRAC never sold well,Camry wagon never sold well,Camry Solara never sold well,Camry-Venza never sold well.....where are they now? All discontinued.Maybe next time Toyota will just stick to the 4 door model and not try to expand the line.

Toyotas sell to the reliability fetishists and paranoids out there who are ignorant to reliability in all cars these days and overstate the issue, they're simply terrified of any mechanical issue and either have absolutely no taste or aesthetic sense whatsoever and sacrifice that on the alter of so called invincibility. I know that sounds cynical, but every time I drive in a Toyota I simply cannot wait to get out of it, it just reeks of cheap. The materials, the finishes, the ride, the overall style..event that unique Toyota smell... I have never experienced the "Quality". Sorry if I offend.

So, anything that strays from the formula...booooring inexpensive sedans appealing to booooring people...don't cut it in the sales dept. Once a maker steps into another category, they are summarily judged far differently. Convertibles=sporty. A Solara? really? Tundra? really? Do Americans equate Toyota with that all American Pick up truck? These might be perfectly adequate cars, but the image Toyota has so cleverly crafted all these years basically puts them in a marketing box they really cannot get out of.

Last edited:
I drove a Venza once. I think it was AZjeff who said above that there are some quirky or odd details about it -- and that's a great way to describe it. There are some unconventional shapes and surfaces inside that didn't necessarily appeal to me at the time. I know a number of people who own them, and they're happy. They have a solid 3.5L DOHC V-6 and 6-speed automatic. Not much to go wrong there, really.

Venza seems to be popular around here in New England, well at least with the typical east asian immigrant community. I know at least two families who own Venzas.

They are all over around here. Everyone I know that has one loves it. I was surprised to see that they are lower and wider than my FX.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Toyotas sell to the reliability fetishists and paranoids out there who are ignorant to reliability in all cars these days and overstate the issue, they're simply terrified of any mechanical issue and either have absolutely no taste or aesthetic sense whatsoever and sacrifice that on the alter of so called invincibility. I know that sounds cynical, but every time I drive in a Toyota I simply cannot wait to get out of it, it just reeks of cheap. The materials, the finishes, the ride, the overall style..event that unique Toyota smell... I have never experienced the "Quality". Sorry if I offend.

So, anything that strays from the formula...booooring inexpensive sedans appealing to booooring people...don't cut it in the sales dept. Once a maker steps into another category, they are summarily judged far differently. Convertibles=sporty. A Solara? really? Tundra? really? Do Americans equate Toyota with that all American Pick up truck? These might be perfectly adequate cars, but the image Toyota has so cleverly crafted all these years basically puts them in a marketing box they really cannot get out of.

They have 60 BILLION in cash reserves. One of the few companies who can take chances -because they can afford too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A year ago we went shopping for a new Venza, came home with a new RAV4. Wife liked the size of the RAV better but beyond that the Venza has some odd styling details inside, it feels very close with the large center console and the rear/side visibility is lacking. I probably would still have bought the Venza but learned long ago LET WIFE PICK CAR.

We looked at the RAV4 as well. My wife also made the decision on what to buy and she felt the RAV it to be very "tinny' as the doors and hood did not have that solid sound when closing. I really wanted another Highlander but she didn't like the styling as compared to our older 2008. Lots more $$ as well. Venza has been pretty good so far!

I see very few Venza on the road, maybe poor sales put the nail in the coffin.

I like the looks of the Venza much better than the ugly Honda CRV.

Originally Posted By: Noey

Toyotas sell to the reliability fetishists and paranoids out there who are ignorant to reliability in all cars these days and overstate the issue, they're simply terrified of any mechanical issue

That's me! For the past ten years when my VW gave grief I would drive an hour to three hours for repairs or service that I could not do. Even today renting a car requires a 40 minute drive, each way. I could use a local garage but dropping the car off for a day or three is not acceptable to me--how do I get to work in the meantime?

Yes, I am terrified of mechanical problems! Comes from poor choices, like living in the sticks and not having a spare vehicle--or not replacing vehicles every few years.

Quote:
and either have absolutely no taste or aesthetic sense whatsoever and sacrifice that on the alter of so called invincibility. I know that sounds cynical, but every time I drive in a Toyota I simply cannot wait to get out of it, it just reeks of cheap. The materials, the finishes, the ride, the overall style..event that unique Toyota smell... I have never experienced the "Quality". Sorry if I offend.

No, I agree, our Toyotas are definitely low rent. I hate the steering feel, the throttle tip in, and in my Tundra I hate the trans programming. I prefer leather seats, the ones in my VW were great for wear; speaking of which, they also had some idea of lumbar support.

Quote:
So, anything that strays from the formula...booooring inexpensive sedans appealing to booooring people...

Works for me. I don't skydive, scuba, take crazy risks... Boring is fine to me. I like driving to work with the windows up, no radio on or listening to classical music. How exciting does it have to be to roll down the road at 60-70mph?

Quote:
don't cut it in the sales dept. Once a maker steps into another category, they are summarily judged far differently. Convertibles=sporty. A Solara? really? Tundra? really? Do Americans equate Toyota with that all American Pick up truck? These might be perfectly adequate cars, but the image Toyota has so cleverly crafted all these years basically puts them in a marketing box they really cannot get out of.

Pretty sure Toyota has not gotten such kid treatment. Echo was a flop, Yaris slightly better, Scion has not taken off, and Venza is in its death throes. Tundra was always put down and never has lived up to sales expectations.

For the record I still kinda like my Tundra. Four normal doors and a 6.5' bed. That setup might be available today new, but I don't think it was when I bought two years ago. No options, plain jane, suits me well. Its failings are things other trucks have issues with too (mpg, sky high height).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back