how to plumbair compressor to pre-existing tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my neighbor gave me his old 20gallon air compressor after the pump died 2 years ago. (purchased in the early 80's)

so as a house warming present, dad has been hooking up the harbor freight pump to it...

hes made a new base to hook the pump to, and the pullys are aligned. but now comes the interesting task of re-plumbing...

the main concern i have is it looks like the auto shut off is too sun eaten, so i dont know how to go about hooking up a new one nor how they work...

can i post a picture of the preexisting regulator/shut off system and get some explanation from pros here ?

The pressure switch is similar to a water pump switch. Most have 4 contacts. You can either run just the hot through the contacts or use both hot and neutral. If the pump is wired for 220v then one hot on each screw on the feed side.

its just 120.

the set up was a house brand compressor.

so, lets take this a step more confusing and say the regulator i see on the tank doesnt have wires attached to it...

it did have 2 sun-destroyed guages protruding from it and a twist knob

Go look at some store models and reverse engineer it.

There are 3 components:
-pressure on/off switch - it has a small air line to it to trigger a mechanical switch that moves electrical contacts - on/off motor at adjustable limits...i.e 80 lb.on/ 110lb. off.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_42428_42428
16152_400x400.jpg

- air pressure regulator - often with 2 gauges (tank pressure/adjustable outlet pressure)
Regulator_220x250.jpg

-pressure safety switch - releases air if the switch fails, to avoid a tank explosion or pump failure.
mfqm63-safety_valve_ring_small.jpg

Here's manifolds with all three components combined:
stock-photo-pressure-meters-and-compressor-safety-valve-closeup-112252583.jpg
Dayton_Speedaire_Compressor.jpg

It probably had a pressure switch on it.

What you're probably seeing are the remains of the old pressure switch and an attached regulator. On 120v compressors it's common practice to have the pressure switch and regulator nearby each other.

okay, i know why i was so confused...

the old unit plumbed into the head to get the pressure for the on/off feature...

new pump does not...

sooooooooo, is there any harm pluging into the inlet line ? (compressor to tank ) and will i need a one way valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back