Fiat/Chrysler to buy back pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
When has Chrysler EVER provide SUSTAINED quality vehicles?

It.
Never.
Happened.

Chyrsler products nearly half of ConsumerReport's list of vehicles to AVOID.

It amazes me that seemingly smart people still buy these piles of crud. On the other hand, there are still people in 2015 that smoke.

We will always have idiots in society...

Originally Posted By: lovcom

It.
Never.
Happened.

It amazes me that seemingly smart people still buy these piles of crud. On the other hand, there are still people in 2015 that smoke.

Serious question: in the eight years you have been a member here, have you EVER actually posted anything HELPFUL? Or do you post EXCLUSIVELY hit-n-run flames, basically the text equivalent of what pigeons do on a parked car?

It.
Never.
Happened.

Crazy-eyes-gif.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: madRiver
No other SUV, truck or car has such a high record of this...

Are you sure about this? I understood that the Jeeps involved here did not show a higher injury or fatality rate due to fire than other vehicles of their kind.

At least 6 have died in fires since the recall began in 2013.

NHTSA says 75 died in Grand Cherokee fires, while CAS says 478 in Liberty + GC fires.

http://www.jeepproblems.com/trends/rear-impact-fire/

which they've assembled into a bunch of spreadsheets here: http://www.autosafety.org/jeep-grand-cherokee-fires-homepage

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

It.
Never.
Happened.

Serious question: in the eight years you have been a member here, have you EVER actually posted anything HELPFUL? Or do you post EXCLUSIVELY hit-n-run flames, basically the text equivalent of what pigeons do on a parked car?

jar -- he's one of a few here who are always raggin' on about something -- very negative, chip on your shoulder types.they're just not happy unless they're spreading around negative bee sss.
there are a lot of people like this around, so it makes sense that there would be some on bitog.
personally, I like these types, and these threads, because they are funny.
take care.

It.
Never.
Happened.

Let me guess, we should all drive a Prius?

It.
Never.
Happened.

Have you paid any attention to the Toyota recalls of late? What do you have to say about that? I categorize you among the seriously brainwashed. You probably still think Al Gore knows what he is talking about.

I have owned 85 cars and trucks in my life (so far). The best one ever was a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500. 14 years of trouble free service. Cannot say that about ANY of the other cars and trucks I have owned including Asian vehicles.

You smug Prius driver's think you have all the answers. You don't.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/03/toyotas_prius_is_less_efficien.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Jeep meet a testing standard however failed violently in the real world burning folks and apparently a toddler alive. No other SUV, truck or car has such a high record of this so they are considered safe. Your logic is flawed.

Jeep was chastised for flaw in design not a lack of any safety system.

I hate Chrysler with a passion but even I say if the vehicles met the testing standards at the time of manufacture there should be no recall. Period, end of story. If the standard is flawed, then change the standard. But recalling vehicles that met all applicable standards of the time is crazy, no matter the manufacturer.

This is a fun thread. I'm in the same boat at SilverSnake above. The simple, short wheelbase Caravans I owned were very good vehicles with a good ROI for me. No sludged up engines (Toyota), no grenading air conditioner systems (Honda), no "mandatory" head gasket replacement (Subaru), no $500 tuneup due to broken spark plugs (Ford).....you get the idea.

itguy08, I appreciated your intelligent explanation earlier explaining your Chrysler hate (matters of principle regarding 2 government bailouts).

It takes backbone to stand up for one's principles, but where is the line drawn? Do I not buy Fords because of Henry's antisemitism and ties with Hitler? No Mitsubishi because they built enemy war planes? No Japanese at all because of their WWII atrocities?

I admit to being weak spined regarding these matters. For example, I shop at Walmart, even knowing their business practices. I still buy John Deere, even though our current brush hog has a communist Chinese gear box.

What distinguishes a good reason for mfg. hate vs. another? Again, where does one draw the line, and why?

Chrysler has always made decent powertrains (except the 2.7). I'm having a/c issues with my Challenger and it's in the shop right now, but we'll see how this goes. So far, it's the first problem with the car. It has a small leak and they can't find it, so they put dye in it and will check again if and when the a/c needs charged again. Also, the door for the fresh air and the recirc isn't working, so that will have to be replaced too. I wouldn't have bothered with the second issue if I didn't live in the South where I need my max a/c. In conclusion, I'm a GM man to the core. Overall, I think they make the best vehicle all things considered, incl cost of parts and every mechanic seems to know how to work on them.

I've owned Chrysler in the past, never any major issues. Anytime one of these recall threads pops up, the flash mob comes out and attacks the brand.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

itguy08, I appreciated your intelligent explanation earlier explaining your Chrysler hate (matters of principle regarding 2 government bailouts).

It takes backbone to stand up for one's principles, but where is the line drawn? Do I not buy Fords because of Henry's antisemitism and ties with Hitler? No Mitsubishi because they built enemy war planes? No Japanese at all because of their WWII atrocities?

I admit to being weak spined regarding these matters. For example, I shop at Walmart, even knowing their business practices. I still buy John Deere, even though our current brush hog has a communist Chinese gear box.

What distinguishes a good reason for mfg. hate vs. another? Again, where does one draw the line, and why?

I'd say if you were Jewish it would make sense to avoid Ford as well as other German makes, especially VW who Hitler commissioned to design the Beetle. Similar thing to the Japanese makes. I think it all depends on your perspective and how much you care about things.

I do like to buy local and buy things made here when possible. Why? Cause going to Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Home Depot vs Amazon, Newegg, etc means my neighbors have jobs. Each of those local employers employs a couple hundred people each. Amazon's warehouse may employ 100 total. I'd rather support the little jobs in my community than shipping them somewhere else.

The fact is that Chrysler has not made good cars for probably the majority of their existence. You only have to look no further than their abysmal dependability ratings from those that track those sort of things. When they all say the same things you tend to believe it. That led to the first bailout in the 80s when Iacocca begged for $$. Then they changed hands a bunch of times and we got to do it again in 2008. We should have let them fail in the 80's and be done with it. Jeep would have got bought and the other automakers would have picked up the slack in the volume. What made them so special that the other marques that passed before didn't get help?

Riddle yourself this - if Chrysler made such great cars why is their incentive spending among the highest in the industry? From the NADA NADA Link :
Quote:
As has been the case in recent months, Fiat Chrysler continued its upward sales push by opening up its wallet, as the rest of the industry has scaled back incentives. While total spending for domestics was down 5.8%―with both Fiat and General Motors cutting back―Fiat Chrysler’s incentives were up 8.4%. Excluding Alfa Romeo, Dodge was the only brand to trim its promotions, while leading brand Jeep surprisingly spent 36% more per unit year-over-year.

Another NADA Link discussing incentives

Quote:
Chrysler has always made decent powertrains (except the 2.7).

Which ones are being referred to? The V6's they bought from Mitsubishi in the 80/90's that liked to smoke? The GEMA 4 cyl that was a Hyundai/Mitsubishi design? The glass lined Ultradrive transmission? Or those super durable transmissions that graced Ram pickups until they went to ZF/Aisin?

The 2.2 and Hemi are about the only good Chrysler designs in the past 30 years. And the transmissions that are loved by Mopar fans in the Challenger/Charger are not Chrysler designs at all. As are the drivetrains in the rest of their stuff except the Pentastar which is an average engine at best.

Last edited:
^ not going to quote that entire post, but Chrysler made some really good cars from the fuel injected era to the point Mercedes bought them. I'd say everything from '85-2000 was pretty solid. The Ultradrive sucked in the minivan, but every other manufacturer had powertrain issues with minivans. The Windstar gets a pass? Odyssey?

The 2.7 was a mess, and the interiors launched under Diamler's management were shameful but otherwise they have some pretty solid vehicles.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
^ not going to quote that entire post, but Chrysler made some really good cars from the fuel injected era to the point Mercedes bought them. I'd say everything from '85-2000 was pretty solid. The Ultradrive sucked in the minivan, but every other manufacturer had powertrain issues with minivans. The Windstar gets a pass? Odyssey?

LOL. The K-Cars? Are you serious? The only thing good about them was the 2.2, especially the turbo versions.

The Ultradrive sucked in everything it was put into - 5th Ave, New Yorkers, etc.

Few Dodge Ram owners got to 100k without at least 1 transmission. Heck, the Cummins Ram was known as "great engine bolted to a POS truck".

Let me refresh your memory as to how bad it was: Chrysler Ultradrive Article from 1989

NO, the Windstar doesn't get a pass. Nor does the Odyssey. The early AX4 units were fragile but with regular maintenance they at least could maybe last, especially behind the gutless 3.0. Later versions actually were quite reliable: Ford Windstar

Quote:

The 2002 Windstar was the most dependable minivan on the market in the JD Powers dependability survey at three years in service in the 2005 survey. The Windstar beat out the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey for these honors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

LOL. The K-Cars? Are you serious? The only thing good about them was the 2.2, especially the turbo versions.

You know how many K-cars my friends and I got stuck with as hand me downs from our parents? I swear we all had one (all called something different). They ran forever no matter how we tried to kill them. I don't remember any dying, they got killed when run into a pole, another car or a guard rail. My Reliant got totaled when a lady in a Saturn pulled out of a parking lot and right into the B pillar of my car.

Do I not buy Fords because of Henry's antisemitism and ties with Hitler?

FDR was a big antisemite, btw. Ford's given so much money to a lot of talented Jews working for him. His business acumen was all American Pragmatism. The rest is mythology.

Albert Kahn worked on more than 1,000 commissions from Henry Ford..

This is a fun thread. I'm in the same boat at SilverSnake above. The simple, short wheelbase Caravans I owned were very good vehicles with a good ROI for me. No sludged up engines (Toyota), no grenading air conditioner systems (Honda), no "mandatory" head gasket replacement (Subaru), no $500 tuneup due to broken spark plugs (Ford).....you get the idea.

Luck of the draw, I guess. Our two Hondas both have over 100,000 miles with no A/C work whatsoever, and our 2007 Town & Country had the A/C compressor replaced twice under warranty. We sold it at about 42,000 miles, so I couldn't tell you how many it'd have had by 100,000 miles.

Not normal, I know. I think our '07 was haunted. Two replacement A/Cs, one replacement alternator, two replacement belt tensioners, a handful of pairs of stabilizer bar bushings, two outer tie rods, two rear ABS sensors. Must have been a Friday van.

You know how many K-cars my friends and I got stuck with as hand me downs from our parents? I swear we all had one (all called something different). They ran forever no matter how we tried to kill them. I don't remember any dying, they got killed when run into a pole, another car or a guard rail. My Reliant got totaled when a lady in a Saturn pulled out of a parking lot and right into the B pillar of my car.

There is no point arguing. Now we see Corollas and Camrys everywhere and to the fan boys it's a sign of people buying what's best.
Roll back the clock a decade and a half or so back, when Cavaliers and Taurus' dominated the landscape and the argument by Toyota/Honda fan boys was that these people were brainwashed into buying domestic junk or couldn't afford a Japanese vehicle.

You simply cannot have a logical debate with people like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back