Squeaking under light braking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I just recently started hearing squeaking under light braking. I installed EBC Redstuff pads back in December along with Raybestos advanced technology rotors on the front. Since then I've driven about 7k miles with no problems.

Last week I was up in New Hampshire and did around 1700 miles of driving in 6 days. I visited Mt. Washington, descended in 1st gear but had to apply the brakes a lot anyway. Pulled over a few time to cool them down since they started to stink and feel mushy.

Could I have some some damage while descending?

-Thanks

do a couple hard brakes, there maybe some material on the rotor or pad "glazed"

However, ceramic brakes may just squeak-especially when cold.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
since they started to stink and feel mushy.

Was there a burning smell? If so, that could mean dragging brakes.

Did you grease the pad ears during installation? I've found that helps reduce squeaks. Try getting some brake cleaner and cleaning up the rotors in case any grime got on there.

Are you using the factory shim kit, or are you using the one that the EBC pads came with?

Factory hardware will solve a lot of these issues.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

Was there a burning smell? If so, that could mean dragging brakes.

Did you grease the pad ears during installation?

+1. sounds like dragging calipers. Possibly the high temps in NH ruined the grease on the caliper pins and the are binding. Especially if it was not proper hi-temp brake grease?

Jack up the car and see if each wheel will spend freely or is hard to turn. If any do, pull the caliper pins, clean them, and re-grease with appropriate brake grease like Sil-Glyde or similar, not regular bearing grease.

Last edited:
Yeah there was a burning smell but it was due to me applying the brakes for extended periods of time. The road down from the summit is pretty steep at time. Even in low gear I had to use the brakes because I started exceeding 25 mph and 5K RPM.

If a caliper is dragging it might explain the vibrations at highway speeds as well. I used some generic brake grease nothing special when I changed them.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
I used some generic brake grease nothing special when I changed them.

Brake grease, or bearing grease? If it was hi-temp brake grease, you should be good. It's also usually good for the pins, but I find over time it breaks down and hardens faster than the silicone. Also, the silicone is compatible with the hats and rubber bushings (if your pins have them; not all do). Won't make them swell over time like some other greases will, or the hats get soft and tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back