An American Dentist Killed Zimbabwe’s Famous Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an unfortunate incident, but I need more facts. I wouldn’t assume that the dentist or the guide knew the specifics of the lion killed (other than perhaps that it was lured from the park). It’s possible that everything associated with the hunting incident was legal. That’s far more important for the dentist, guide, and the country of Zimbabwe than the opinions of others. Hunting is a source of income for Zimbabwe. It’s up to them to manage their game and make and enforce the associated hunting rules and laws.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I suspect none because no one understands how trophy hunting works. Nice rifle BTW.

1. Was the lion wasted?
No typically locals are poor and only to happy to take the meat. Nothing is wasted.

2. Why is a trophy hunt so expensive?

I don't know the exact details of this case, I suspect the media is way off as usual. Typically if you want to shoot say an elephant you need a permit. The local game wardens identify X number of animals to be removed each year. Typically they are older males who are blocking younger males from breeding. So the number of permits issued is very limited and as a result they are very expensive. I have heard of people paying $250k for some!

Its called herd and animal management. These poor countries lack resources to fight poachers, also the locals view a lot of the animals like elephants in this example as nuisance animals. By charging in some cases $200k to shoot an old animal they are able to gain resources they wouldn't otherwise have to fight poachers. The locals now also make money off this so they have an incentive to not help the poachers or kill the animals themselves.

Large game trophy hunting is actually doing a ton of good in Africa and is why a lot of animals are still around. FYI the Chinese are paying poachers to kill anything with a horn left and right so without it they would have probably shoot every last one by now. Its so bad that in some areas game warden's shoot and hunt the poachers.

The same limp wristed OMG its nature don't touch it, I don't understand it but save it attitude, is why wild forest fires sweep threw areas all the time. The forest and trees are not properly managed so nature does it. If controlled logging and underbrush removal was done so you had a healthy forest with large healthy trees they would be less common. Fires are natures way of achieving this.

Weak sauce. Making money from safari's and employing the poachers to protect is a better way. Culling the herd however isn't usually necessary as nature takes its course.

The guy's a total puss. He basically "hunted" a semi tamed lion who lived all his life in a wildlife refuse,who's had interactions with humans all its life. It's basically the same thing as going to your city zoo and "hunting" a caged animal. He's probably too much of a puss to get dropped off in the middle of the unexplored jungle to lion hunt,so he had to go on a staged "hunting trip". Really sad.

Originally Posted By: PSS
I wonder how many fake crowns he put in to finance his expedition?

Ha!! I was thinking the exact same thing. Dentistry is quite the "up sell" business with a significant enough amount of procedures that are not necessary or even counterproductive dealing with the result. Maybe the media is fixated on this guy being a dentist because it's not a popular place to go and some of these guys with their $600 designer glasses and $90,000 vehicles in front draw contempt and are of questionable integrity. If they can portray him as the Thurston Howell of the bicuspid set then it's good copy. If it turns out he's just a d-bag then it'll be even better.

I suspect none because no one understands how trophy hunting works. Nice rifle BTW.

1. Was the lion wasted?
No typically locals are poor and only to happy to take the meat. Nothing is wasted.

I don't know the exact details of this case, I suspect the media is way off as usual. Typically if you want to shoot say an elephant you need a permit. The local game wardens identify X number of animals to be removed each year. Typically they are older males who are blocking younger males from breeding. So the number of permits issued is very limited and as a result they are very expensive. I have heard of people paying $250k for some!

Its called herd and animal management. These poor countries lack resources to fight poachers, also the locals view a lot of the animals like elephants in this example as nuisance animals. By charging in some cases $200k to shoot an old animal they are able to gain resources they wouldn't otherwise have to fight poachers. The locals now also make money off this so they have an incentive to not help the poachers or kill the animals themselves.

Large game trophy hunting is actually doing a ton of good in Africa and is why a lot of animals are still around. FYI the Chinese are paying poachers to kill anything with a horn left and right so without it they would have probably shoot every last one by now. Its so bad that in some areas game warden's shoot and hunt the poachers.

The same limp wristed OMG its nature don't touch it, I don't understand it but save it attitude, is why wild forest fires sweep threw areas all the time. The forest and trees are not properly managed so nature does it. If controlled logging and underbrush removal was done so you had a healthy forest with large healthy trees they would be less common. Fires are natures way of achieving this.

Excellent post someone that gets it and understands the real world.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What do you think about killing a beautiful male lion ?

http://news.yahoo.com/american-dentist-killed-zimbabwe-famous-lion-192723625.html

After I found out more about this on Fox News I became very much against what this dentist did. At first I did not pay much attention because some hunting in various African countries is legal and people still go on these legal hunting trips.

But what I have heard about this is that the lion was on a protected reserve but was baited out of that reserve. They had the carcass of an animal on a vehicle or something like that to get the lion out of the protected area.

And then the dentist apparently shot the lion with an arrow but the animal was wounded and had to be tracked down. The dentist then killed the lion with a rifle bullet and cut the head off or had the head cut off. But South Africa refused to let the dentist take the lion head out of the country, so the dentist was denied his trophy.

If the lion was baited out of a protected reserve that is obviously wrong. I don't know if the dentist had anything to do with that. Maybe he didn't. But if he did I have no respect for him. This particular male lion was a kind of famous lion that was very popular in the protected reserve.

There may be more details about all of this coming out later. Perhaps the dentist did not know about the lion being baited out of the protected reserve. I don't know. We will find out, eventually.

But regardless, the lion was on a protected reserve and was baited out of that protected reserve.

1. Was the lion wasted?

hattaresguy is exactly right.

I grew up in Bloomington, just a couple of miles from Palmer's dental practice. A lot of my friends and family have gone to him for years. From what I've heard he's a great dentist and a great guy in general.

Judging by all the outrage over a dead wild animal, I think a lot of these hand-wringing keyboard warriors have watched The Lion King a few too many times. While I don't know for sure, I would imagine that an experienced sport hunter like Palmer was not seeking to kill a named lion with a tracking collar. But anyway, Cecil the Lion is dead now. He was probably spared being eaten alive by hyenas or leopards. When the sun goes down and the tourists go back to their hotels, bad things happen to wild animals, even to those at the top of the food chain. There are no nursing homes for wild animals, although it's nice to think of lions hanging out with meerkats and wildebeest, singing Hakuna Matata to forget their worries. And elephants in the wild are not the docile beasts we saw in cartoons, vacuuming up peanuts with their trunks.

Wealthy hunters like Palmer play an important role in wildlife management in places like Zimbabwe, Botswana, and South Africa. Despite the good intentions of the tourists going on "photo safaris," they don't do much good overall. Big game hunters pay huge fees that go directly to the government, which is used to employ game wardens and manage the herds. The reason we hear so much about poaching in Kenya is because they banned hunting almost 40 years ago. The government cannot afford to pay a lot of game wardens, and really they have no reason to protect animals that earn no one any money. Kenya has had a 70% decline in wild animals since the hunting ban. The ban has only stayed in place because of the meddling of US and British animals rights groups who don't realize how counterproductive they have been. Poaching is still an issue in the countries that have hunting, but it is no where near the problem that Kenya has.

I actually admire the hated Dr. Palmer. He must have some serious testicular fortitude to go after three of the Big Five with a bow. The picture of him with that magnificent leopard he took with a bow is awe inspiring. I don't think most people know how dangerous those leopards are.

Originally Posted By: dave123

1. Was the lion wasted?

Excellent post someone that gets it and understands the real world.

Well, kind of. Maybe.

Regarding #1, in this case Cecil's* carcass was left to only provide food for the carrion feeders.

"Mr Stapelkamp said that the team found blood in the sand, and vehicle tracks. The carcass had been eaten by vultures and hyenas." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-was-anger.html

"Johnny Rodrigues from the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force tells us the headless corpse of Cecil is still out in the sun ... so vultures and other carnivores can eat the flesh in circle of life fashion." http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/29/cecil-the-lion-memorial-bones-zimbabwe-dentist/#ixzz3hJFjUaII

Regarding #2. These points are true. There is a program (including sanctioned hunts) to benefit the overall wildlife management plans and economy. HOWEVER, in this case the guides acted as poachers. The dentist claims that he believed his hunt to be a legitimate operation provided by the service he hired. It will be interesting if the investigation finds this to be true or not.

* - the stakes are escalated when animals have names.

I agree with you that legal hunting in Africa actually helps the situation because they can employ more game wardens and so forth. I have nothing against legal hunting. There is legal hunting in Colorado for various animals such as elk, deer, beer, etc. There is actually a need for the hunting, because the deer population for example can get too great.

The thing that really bothers me is that apparently the lion was baited out of a protected reserve. I have no idea if Dr. Palmer was involved in that or not. Maybe he knew nothing about it. But that is what really troubles me. Because if that was the case that is just flat out wrong.

Last edited:
The lion actually had been named (Cecil) and had a tracking collar. The lion had lived on a protected reserve and was extremely popular with tourists. I saw a video on Fox News where a guy had been taking a photo of the lion only a short distance away from the lion. They showed video of the lion walking around the preserve.

Was the lion still a potentially dangerous wild animal? Sure. But if it is true that the lion was baited off of the protected preserve, I have a real issue with that. This lion was not a zoo animal of course but baiting the lion off the protected preserve would be almost like somebody baiting a zoo animal away from a zoo. That protected preserve almost is like a very large zoo. The animals are supposed to be under protection.

The Dr has already said he's sorry...However, I would like to see him take in Cecile one on one. Shooting him in the back with a crossbow seems a bit one sided.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
[

I actually admire the hated Dr. Palmer.

That's some serious boot licking going on there. Calling a dentist a doctor.

This guy has done damage to people who love animals and nature all over the world. And I hope he never recovers from it. Were talking taking a leak on his grave kinda stuff here.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Do you live in a place where one can be a dentist without a doctorate in dental science? In Minnesota you need a DDS to practice dentistry, and Palmer got his at the University of Minnesota. He's a doctor.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Do you live in a place where one can be a dentist without a doctorate in dental science? In Minnesota you need a DDS to practice dentistry, and Palmer got his at the University of Minnesota. He's a doctor.

Nobody calls dentists doctors. Its an insult to people with real MDs. Cut the anal retentive banter. This lowlife needs to do the right thing and put a gun in his mouth

turtle, it seems you're the anally rententive one who is picking up on this topic more than anyone else and now backpedalling to get out of the losing point.

Everybody calls dentists by the Dr. title. Just like you call anyone who helps you with athletics or sports "Coach ( )".

Dr. is the appropriate title for a dentist, same as your optometrist, psychologist, or other medical-related fields that aren't strictly an MD (e.g. Dr. Phil). No MD is insulted by this- well maybe by the Dr. Phil.

Every dental place I've been to, the whole office calls the dentist "Dr. { }". Search any website that is put up for a dental practice. It will say "Dr. { }"
Find me a (professional) website for a dental practice that does NOT refer to the dentist with a different title than Dr.

What other title would you all call your dentist. By their first name? "Mr." "Boss?".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
turtle, it seems you're the anally rententive one who is picking up on this topic more than anyone else and now backpedalling to get out of the losing point.

Everybody calls dentists by the Dr. title. Just like you call anyone who helps you with athletics "Coach ( )".

Dr. is the appropriate title for a dentist, same as your optometrist, psychologist, or other medical-related fields that aren't strictly an MD (e.g. Dr. Phil). No MD is insulted by this- well maybe by the Dr. Phil.

Every dental place I've been to, the whole office calls the dentist "Dr. { }". Search any website that is put up for a dental practice. It will say "Dr. { }"
Find me a (professional) website for a dental practice that does NOT refer to the dentist with a different title other than Dr.

What else do you all call your dentist. By their first name? "Mr." "Boss?".

I cannot believe this requires an explanation.

However once I consider who the explanation is for,or resident expert on nothing it all makes sense.
The reason he doesn't know to refer to a dentist as doctor is because he's never seen one,other than on tv. No experience in the matter therefore how could he know
Just like his engineering background. He feels because he has a mechano set he's an engineer now.
I'm glad the ignore function works. I pick and choose what nonsense to read from turt.

Dentists deserve to be called doctors. They go through a huge amount of training. In any case, that has nothing to do with the shooting of this lion. It would be the same if the guy had been a wealthy plumber.

Now, I don't know if Dr. Palmer had anything to do with the animal apparently being baited off of the preserve. He may have known nothing about that. The story I heard on Fox News was that the animal was baited using an animal carcass on a vehicle. Is that the truth? Well, that is what was reported. We will find out. If they are charging the two hunting guides apparently it is believed somebody did something wrong.

We can wait until the full story comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back