2016 Colorado/Canyon diesel news release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Looking at the signature vehicles for most of you guys you're not going to buy one no matter what it has or does....but it's still fun to smack it down.

A false assumption.

I had a 2002 ranger 4x4 4.0
of course it cost $21000 or so.

I'd pay... $25000-28000 for one of these no reason it should be in the mid 30000$'s

That's into decent full size pricing.

I guess at some point GM will offer the same rebates that they do on the full size trucks, which would get down into the high 20's. A 4wd quadcab RAM is often in the high 20's here and they must make money on them, so no reason GM can't do the same thing with the Canyon.

First issue of a complicated vehicle is always trouble.

I'd say this vehicle qualifies. There's a lot going on it what still is just a pickup truck. It also looks like much of the added content is stuff that the owner will have trouble keeping up and will end up going to a qualified shop or a dealer.

Agree it is way overpriced for a mid size truck. Even the gas model is.

And I was not impressed by the Colorado redesign at the spring Auto Show, either. Less window viz for lots more money? Um, no thanks. We have a 2007 Colorado with the I-5 engine we like just fine.

GM seems to have really lost it's way since the Great Recession bankruptcy.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
There have been countless posts of people asking for a small/mid pickup with a diesel, and here it is.

But this is BITOG...

It should be much smaller.
It should be much cheaper.
It should tow like a full-size truck.
Tire size should be 205/75-15.
It shouldn't have any emission controls... but it also shouldn't smell, shake, smoke, or be noisy.
It should be reliable. That means no electronics... at all.
It should be made by Honda, but not 2015 Honda, we're talking 1984 Honda.
The entire truck should be able to be completely disassembled with a 9/16 wrench and a pair of pliers.
It should only be available with a manual transmission.
4WD versions should have manual locking hubs.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
There have been countless posts of people asking for a small/mid pickup with a diesel, and here it is.

But this is BITOG...

It shouldn't have any emission controls... but it also shouldn't smell, shake, smoke, or be noisy.
The entire truck should be able to be completely disassembled with a 9/16 wrench and a pair of pliers.
That is a good list . I would consider buying one if it wasn't a GM product.

Originally Posted By: CT8
That is a good list . I would consider buying one if it wasn't a GM product.

You missed this:

Quote:

A GM diesel is not the same as those...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Sounds like a whole lot that can go wrong....

Why?
smile.gif

Here in EU we have 2.2...2.8...3.0 JTDm diesels for vans (usa version of SUV) for ages...

google Fiat Ducato ....2.8 and 3.0 turbodiesels with 4cyl. inline and 400Nm of torq are almost unbreakable...

And that with aluminium block
smile.gif

A GM diesel is not the same as those...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Why?
smile.gif

Here in EU we have 2.2...2.8...3.0 JTDm diesels for vans (usa version of SUV) for ages...

google Fiat Ducato ....2.8 and 3.0 turbodiesels with 4cyl. inline and 400Nm of torq are almost unbreakable...

And that with aluminium block
smile.gif

Your mind is stuck in 1982. Current GM diesels are far removed from the Olds 350 diesels. What do you find in common between the Variable-geometry turbocharged, DOHC 4-valve, common-rail direct-injected 2.8L Duramax and the naturally aspirated, pushrod 2-valve, distributor pump indirect-injected 350 Olds?

Every modern car has "a whole lot that can go wrong" with it. How is this any worse? The engine has fewer parts than the 3.6L V6 that also comes in the Canyon/Colorado.

Buy one and let us know how it turns out.... Never mentioned Olds???

Your mind is stuck in that car manufacturer can do no wrong... They do all the time.

Last edited:
They are nice little trucks, if I didn't need a full size I'd consider one. But as I have said many times I won't own a modern diesel with all the emissions they put on them now. Not when gas engines are so good.

I'd opt for the 3.6 V6, and skip the $4k upgrade, $1 a gallon diesel fuel premium and $100 oil changes.

The Tundra feels like its 1995 in comparison to these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

But this is BITOG...

It should only be available with a manual transmission.
4WD versions should have manual locking hubs.

That's getting pretty close to describing my 2001 suzuki ATV. Which has needed nothing but semi regular maintenance and a new diaphragm fuel pump in 14 years of hard running...
I guess with emissions and safety standards we can't quite go back to 1984 tech, but 1994 would cover most of it.

Buy one and let us know how it turns out.... Never mentioned Olds???

If not Olds, what "bad" GM diesels were you thinking of?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Every modern car has "a whole lot that can go wrong" with it. How is this any worse? The engine has fewer parts than the 3.6L V6 that also comes in the Canyon/Colorado.

Go read the BMW forum on 335d, in particular CBU (Carbon Build Up).

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I liked paying under ~12Gs for a FACTORY ORDERED CHEVY S10 V6 Rochester VARAJET Carb'd 4 speed MT, HD trailering suspension, SD cab. One of the three best cars ive owned out of 70 cars over 43 years (I was in auto repair for a while in the late 70s thru early 8Os and flipped a few or ten cars in a year .

$12k in 1985 dollars is right about $26k in 2014 dollars. My Frontier is better equipped and far safer than that S10, but doesn't carry quite as much. It was less than $20k.

I would absolutely buy this truck if I could get one at a price that allowed me to #1 buy some basic performance parts, cat-back, high flow air filter, maybe a few other things #2 get a tune and DPF/DEF delete #3 come out with at least 230hp. Preferably 250+.

181hp is just [censored].

For the price of one 3500 Denali, I could buy two Diesel Colorado/Canyons.
Currently , Diesel fuel is 15% cheaper than gasoline at the card lock.
When the full sized pick-ups are discounted and offered at 0%X84 months,
the price difference is only about $50.00 a month more than the Canyon plus a little extra in fuel costs.

The problem is, the 2016 Diesel Colorado/Canyons won't be discounted until this time next year, that is, if you can find one.

The people who rant about the DPF and DEF likely never owned a vehicle so equipped.

I have a few do's and dont's about that topic.

Don't keep topping up your DEF tank. Let it run down and use up the old stale fluid.
Otherwise you might get a "poor quality DEF" warning and a possible power-down.

Do; use a low SAPS engine oil.
Don't; put anything else into your fuel tank other than ULSD.

That means no ATF, engine oil or other trick of the week.

Question; What will the recommended engine oil be for the Diesel Canyon/Colorados?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back