Fram Ultra XG2 17,475 Miles |11 Months [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my recent trip to Key West, I decided to change the oil in the FX4 (UOA of the M1 EP 0W-20 to follow soon). After 17,475 miles and 11 months, I remain impressed with the quality of the Ultra. As you can see, there are no wavy pleats, no tears, nothing that should not be there. The bypass valve assembly was sealed solidly to the filter housing, the ADBV was super pliable with no marks of any kind--this is in sharp contrast to the Motorcraft FL-820s that I ran for 10K that had hard indentions (almost like cuts) in its ADBV. There was never a start up rattle or issue of any kind. IMHO, for $7.50, there is no better filter on the market and I like the security of the wire backed media--no worries about tears or wavy media. This was my last Ultra from the original ones I bought so I just nabbed three more from AAP with a code--$7.53 each; hard to beat that deal.

I also opted to purchase a Gold Plug and installed it on this OCI. Probably will not do anything earth shattering, but it cannot hurt either. There was a lot of metal on the magnetic drain plug on my Mag-Hytec rear axle cover, so anything has to help.

Enjoy!

zu3Kog.jpg

0r1LkH.jpg

The oil looks relatively clean here:
EB5pzt.jpg

2bUsGG.jpg

Fg1BmS.jpg

cXksa9.jpg

X4vgJs.jpg

iUVgei.jpg

QXf1VI.jpg

tIxBpR.jpg

Ob7gGd.jpg

M94U0J.jpg

mU1EIA.jpg

Compare these two photos of the Ultra's ABDV (after 17,475 miles) with the next two of the MC (10,020 miles):
oiBHDH.jpg

n7jevx.jpg

Notice the marks from the inlet holes:
20130418081528.jpg

20130418081646.jpg

Great job on the photos. You got your moneys worth from that filter. I've never heard of a gold plug before, I'll have to look it up.

Good to know the Fram Ultra is working well on your F150 since I just put the same one on my dad's F150. I was a little worried about going the full 15k miles with it but judging by your pictures I will. The Purolater PureOne I cut open from the prior oil change had the same little indentations/cuts in the ADBV as your Ford/Purolator filter except a little deeper.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._PL#Post3776924

Originally Posted By: czbrian
Good to know the Fram Ultra is working well on your F150 since I just put the same one on my dad's F150. I was a little worried about going the full 15k miles with it but judging by your pictures I will. The Purolater PureOne I cut open from the prior oil change had the same little indentations/cuts in the ADBV as your Ford/Purolator filter except a little deeper.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._PL#Post3776924
I am not sure if the indentions have the potential to lead to a failure but I for one do not like them.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
What does the gold plug do that other plugs can't, if I may ask?
Probably nothing, but it seems to be one of the more recommended magnetic plugs. It fit the oil pan just as the OEM one did and seems to be good quality.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Filter looks great, not plugged at all, eagerly awaiting the UOA. Did you have to add any makeup oil?
I added 0.5 QTs just before I headed out to Key West (at about 14,425 miles).

The only parts I don't like are the nubs used for centering the bottom of the element, and the sort of rough surface the ADBV has to seal on the baseplate,(4th pic down) I found the ADBV a bit too flexible IMO and sort of just flopped on the baseplate holes. Since the element isn't perfectly held, I don't think it's the best. But it works OK as far as people tell, only one rattler, and one still unproven claim of start up noise using the Ultra.

Thanks
I have a XG2 here for my new Ford and I have a bunch of Motorcraft filters but I'll use the Fram because of your pictures.

Looks good. And since your engine is obviously very clean inside, I'm sure the Ultra was not over loaded even at 17.5K miles.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The only parts I don't like are the nubs used for centering the bottom of the element ...

I think those nubs are a good thing, as they center the media assembly in the can to keep everything aligned. Also ensures that the area between the base plate and can is uniform all the way around to keep the oil flow even up to the media.

Filter looks amazing! Thanks for the pics. What is the difference of a Gold plug and a regular magnetic plug?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The only parts I don't like are the nubs used for centering the bottom of the element, and the sort of rough surface the ADBV has to seal on the baseplate,(4th pic down) I found the ADBV a bit too flexible IMO and sort of just flopped on the baseplate holes. Since the element isn't perfectly held, I don't think it's the best. But it works OK as far as people tell, only one rattler, and one still unproven claim of start up noise using the Ultra.
Considering Ford modulars are very sensitive to drain back (and subsequent start up rattle), I see this as a non-issue since I have yet to experience any rattle. I think the assembly is very tightly held in position and thus no movement is happening.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
2010_FX4
What socket size is the oil plug if you will?
Thanks
James
It is a 19mm as opposed to a 5/8" for the OEM.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
What is the difference of a Gold plug and a regular magnetic plug?
Likely nothing, but it is one of more recommended brands and was easy to buy on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: beast3300
What is the difference of a Gold plug and a regular magnetic plug?
Likely nothing, but it is one of more recommended brands and was easy to buy on Amazon.
........Goldplugs.com is great, the other brand is http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/ and the key is strong magnets, not cheap-weak ones. Might be another brand out there somewhere worth getting, but those two are good.

Wire backed media, some of the best capacity efficiency measures in the business, I guess the army of Fram engineers have used a little thinking power here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back