328 BMW front right wheel noise question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

For few months now, I have a noise coming from the front right wheel, mainly when turning right (never left) and now for the first few minutes when car is cold (driving straight and turning right, but no noise when turning left).
At first it was only in winter (below -10C only and when turning right only), but now it is there every morning even with warm temperatures.

Could it be a sign of the front right wheel bearing going bad?
My thought is that could be some grease missing (washed) that cause the noise and could destroy the parts.

At first, I thought it was a power steering problem (level was low when I bought the car), so I filled it up and try to bleed it, but the noise is still there.

Less than two months ago, I went to an reputable indy BMW shop for other maintenance items and asked him to get a look at that noise: Did a visual check and a test drive and could not find anything suspect. Told me to come back when it will be bad enough than it is easier to diagnostic.

Since I am more on the preventive side of things, I would like to know what I can do now to save the parts if only lubrication is missing, rather than wait for the parts to fail... which will be more costly and could let me stranded far from home.

What are your thoughts on that? Can it be a wheel bearing or something else?

Install one of the other wheels in that front right position, go for a ride and observe what happens to the noise. If the noise stays in front right, then I'd say it's likely a wheel bearing. If the noise moves with the wheel, then maybe it's a tire issue?

Probably wheel bearing or sticking brakes. Grease up the brakes real good and see what happens.

It sounds like a bearing. I had a groan on the drivers side for years in -25C or less on the Tracker, and eventually that bearing started making noise that varied with turning.
I just had it replaced.

Quattro Pete, already done that kinda as I have a set of winter wheels for the car :)... and my summer tires are noisy as [censored] anyway.

I notice it mainly when I got out of my garage in the morning and pass by a car or a wall (who reflects the noise back to the car) when my windows are opened.
that is maybe why I did not notice more earlier as my windows were closed until May-June in the morning.

Nick, did not mentionned it earlier, but brake pads were changed two months ago. With that in mind, do you think sticking brakes can still be a possibility?

Do you think I can save the wheel bearing by cleaning it and reapplying grease in it, if this is a wheel bearing, or will it need to be changed anyway?

Originally Posted By: Pesca

Do you think I can save the wheel bearing by cleaning it and reapplying grease in it, if this is a wheel bearing, or will it need to be changed anyway?

If it is bad, then nope.

By the time you hear it, it is most likely already shot and can only be replaced, not repaired.

Did you try lifting that corner of the car and pulling on the wheel? Grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to wiggle it. There should not be any movement along the vertical axis.

When I changed the tires to summer ones in spring, I did not notice any wiggling... and I had to smash them with my foot as some were stuck in place.

I believe that what the BMW indy mechanic did too. So, it may be something else...

I will try to record the noise tomorrow morning for further reference as it seems to not be noticed by the BMW indy mechanic last time. I test drove it and found it in good shape for its age/mileage.

I may go to see my other independant mechanic soon as I found the A/C really weak in the car, so I will ask for his opinion at the same time to get a second opinion.

Thanks all for your help...

I have a Driver side rear wheel bearing that's bad and about to be replaced...

Does the noise increase/disappear in relation to the weight transfer (louder when the turning left at speed, in your case)?

Last edited:
My problem understanding what is happening is that I have the noise only when the car is cold (morning and when I live work), not when the car is warmed up.

At first, it was only when I was turning left, but now it is also in straight line.

Of course, this morning, when I wanted to record the noise on my phone, it did not do it on the first two corners but did it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back