Difference between 4 stroke oil and car oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a difference between 4 stroke small engine oil and say automotive oil?

I simply use 10W-30 in my small engine lawnmower, but would 4 stroke small engine oil actually do a better job?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: stchman

I simply use 10W-30 in my small engine lawnmower, but would 4 stroke small engine oil actually do a better job?

An oil designed for small engines will likely have a different additive package than an automotive oil, especially if it doesn't have the API starburst or GF-5 certification. Will your lawn mower be able to tell the difference? Probably not.

I believe 4 stroke oil would have either "low ash" or "zero ash" additive package. Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks.

What I've seen on some OPE oil bottles say its SJ and others say SM and many say nothing. They all have one thing in common, they're expensive compared to PCMO or HDEO oils. Since you are using a 10W-30 I'd look at using a conventional oil HDEO such as Shell Rotella T 10W-30, or similar HDEO oils. They are more stout than PCMO, gas engine oils, and very reasonably priced.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: car51
I believe 4 stroke oil would have either "low ash" or "zero ash" additive package. Please correct me if I am wrong

Well it depends whether that oil is FULL SAPS or LOW SAPS
smile.gif

Yes.....OPE oil have older specifications because OPE equipment doesent need latest specifications....

As somebody mention....it is more pricy....because its OPE specific....

Just use cheapest synthetic with diesel specs....and everything will be OK

My Honda manual states:

Quote:

10W-30 API SJ or later

It would seem that Honda is OK with the user putting in oil that is the same as they put into a car.

Some have said that since lawnmowers getting their oil changed are VERY neglected that some 4 stroke oils are more robust. Since I change the oil in the mower twice a year I think I am OK.

Originally Posted By: car51

Huh? Care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Some bottlers just bottle up some SM auto oil. Other bottlers use a heavy duty engine oil. I know Kohler 10W30 is an HDEO. John Deere 10W30 is an HDEO also, I believe.

"4 stroke small engine oil" is just a marketing ploy to get some people to buy oil at the hardware store for twice the price of regular SN auto oil.

I had one guy INSIST that you could only put "4 stroke small engine oil" in a lawn mower, and he further advised me that you had to buy it at the hardware store. He was a fool.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
A lot of 4 stroke oil has an additive pack worthy of a racing oil.
That narrows it down some.

A lot? Doubtful. Maybe one of them, such as Amsoil small engine oils.

By the standard older API classifications (SG SJ SH...) have more ZDDP but that doesnt automatically mean that they are good for racing
smile.gif

I admit it, I buy the expensive 20 ounce bottles of straight 30 weight 4-stroke oil for my lawn mower. What would I do with the other 12 ounces when every passenger vehicle I own requires synthetic, and every other engine is a 2-stroke?

I would rather not store partially empty bottles of oil for a year - but that is just me.

Last edited:
Well, you could just throw it away with your used oil. It would still be cheaper. I guess your mower never uses any oil, and needs topped up, or do you never check it?

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
I admit it, I buy the expensive 20 ounce bottles of straight 30 weight 4-stroke oil for my lawn mower. What would I do with the other 12 ounces when every passenger vehicle I own requires synthetic, and every other engine is a 2-stroke?

I would rather not store partially empty bottles of oil for a year - but that is just me.

If you buy (2) quarts of say 10W-30 that is 64 ounces, this is (3) oil changes on your small engine and you would only have 4 ounces left over after the 3rd change.

Oil bottles are NOT that big so the excuse of storing is pretty lame.

Current mower (Honda HRX) I used the 10-30 bottle of oil it came with, maybe between 1-2 hours use, then been using Rotella in it since (5w-40 or 15w-40). Don't recall ever using a 4-stroke OPE specific oil ever before - just PCMO/HDEO oils. Never a oil related issue.
Soon I'll be changing the Rotella in the generator, when we get some cool weather and I get back into garage tinkering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back