2014 Focus ST PP 5w-30 5k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back my UOA from Blackstone for the last oil run in my ST with a Motorcraft filter.

Refilled with Castrol 0w-40 and a Royal Purple filter, I use the same oil in my 06 GTO and it keeps things simple. I am going to do 5k on this change, get a UOA with TBN this time to see how far I can carry this oil. My OLM didn't go off until 10,500 miles. I am not sure if I can handle pushing a tuned/modded DI turbo car to 10k oil changes, but we'll see what the TBN says next time, it's the only real way to know I think.

nKl7W7g.png

Last edited:
I used to own one of these and always wondered how a UOA would come back. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
I am not sure if I can handle pushing a tuned/modded DI turbo car to 10k oil changes

My motto has always been OC's are cheaper than engines.
No need to push a DI, modded, tubo car in Florida to 10k IMO.

why did you switch to 0W-40? I also have an ST and considered using 5W-40 or 0W-40 but stay with Ford's recommendation of 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: dennishiip
why did you switch to 0W-40? I also have an ST and considered using 5W-40 or 0W-40 but stay with Ford's recommendation of 5W-30.

The GC 0w-40 is a pretty light 40w and not much more than a heavy 30w. I did this to combat shearing and fuel dilution. I have not seen a lubrication related failure on this engine and that's the least of my worries for engine failure.

I haven't encountered any fuel dilution or shearing issues with my MS3, but then I'm only making @320 bhp with a Hypertech tune. I run M1 5W-30 EP with a 7,500 mile OCI and UOAs consistently show I could easily run a 10,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I haven't encountered any fuel dilution or shearing issues with my MS3, but then I'm only making @320 bhp with a Hypertech tune. I run M1 5W-30 EP with a 7,500 mile OCI and UOAs consistently show I could easily run a 10,000 mile OCI.

The PP started at 10.3 and sheared down to 8.6 this time and 8.2 last time. I'm expecting this GC to be a little more shear resistant but it would still end up as a heavy 30w when it comes out vs a heavy 20w. Fuel dilution doesn't seem to be as large an issue with my car as other ecoboost engines I've seen.

Looks great for a relatively new engine.

No doubt there's fuel in your sample when considering flash and viscosity took a hit. Blackstone has been known to under report fuel.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Looks great for a relatively new engine.

No doubt there's fuel in your sample when considering flash and viscosity took a hit. Blackstone has been known to under report fuel.

+1 0W-40 might be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back