My 20ish year old shingles, have a look, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a new roof put on, Owens Corning Duration architectural style "summer harvest".
Replacing as part of simply having the cash at this time , partly as upkeep and partly as an aesthetic
The oldies are about 20-25 years old my guess nearer 20. They were more crisp 13 years ago and now when viewed as a whole have the "streaking" of wear.( not mildew , age wear) But I have no clue about "particles per inch " or if these are bad versus ok versus real bad. Have a look, just interested in your thoughts on how these samples performed.

Four season northern Midwest Great Lakes weather.

I'd say normal wear with a few more years left. If there's no tab's missing that is. Fairly steep roof I'd guess for lasting that long.

I'd agree with Eric.....they are not deformed, looks like you still got good covering and the tabs are straight.

They look good to me. I don't see any hail damage on those shingles -- if your entire roof looks as good as those, I'd say you have a number of years left in that roof.

Without a look at the entire roof, soffits, vents and fascia it's impossible to tell. However, since you've already had it replaced (or are going to have it replaced) it's a moot point.

And that "streaking" is actually Gloeocapsa Magma, it's form of algae that feeds on the crushed limestone in the shingles.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Without a look at the entire roof, soffits, vents and fascia it's impossible to tell. However, since you've already had it replaced (or are going to have it replaced) it's a moot point.

And that "streaking" is actually Gloeocapsa Magma, it's form of algae that feeds on the crushed limestone in the shingles.

Update: roof is off now 5pm Central time. Winds are 20 gusts to 25 and they say that they may doo the shingles tomorrow. With those somewhat gusty 20-24 mph winds and A zero percent chance of rain .... would it be best to leave the osb bare overnight (65F for a low) or should they put down the sticky ice dam underlayment and synthetic (stapled down) underlayment to the ridge and HOPE the wind doesn't grab it it create a looseness ?

Or is it better to put it on overnight?

Looks decent. Probably a few more years left if the others were in that good of shape. Moot point now, though.

My shingles just turned 30 this year...what's amazing is they still don't look that bad considering they don't appear to be 20 year shingles to me...even more amazing is we are having no problems due to their age, no leaks, no nothing. I'm thankful they've held up for so long because I know it's going to be a major expense when we do have to replace them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back