vanline refuses to relocate my stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicles are transported with fuel in the tanks. Talk to the shipper. They may not worry about some oil in the trunk.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Start saving all your old cereal boxes, slide a quart into each, reseal, put in a crate marked "pantry".
wink.gif

Movers normally don't take opened or partially used food.
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Vehicles are transported with fuel in the tanks. Talk to the shipper. They may not worry about some oil in the trunk.

Big difference. Semi's often have 200-300 gallons of fuel in the tanks, but put the same amount in a tote in the trailer, and it becomes hazardous materials and requires placarding along with the associated haz-mat handling.

If they actually don't "worry" about it, then it's not a shipper with whom you'd want to do business.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Bribe the actual muscle to look the other way. IOW, grease 'em.
wink.gif

Now there's the ethical, upstanding option.

If you can't transport it to your new digs, you have two options:

1) Pre-move yard sale. It's a good time to hit the reset button and clear out the stuff you don't want to see at your new home. Include the oil in the sale.

2) Donate it to a church or other charity that provides oil changes free for the aged or needy. Take it off on your taxes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: 08sienna
so I got a new job in a different state. I have been managing an oil stash (a decent size..at least 50 quarts) then the vanline company refuses to move my oil - what to do?
I cannot change the vanline company because they are hired as a part of the company relocation package...
I figured there must be some BITOG members who have gone through a relocation with oil stash.. Please help.

Thus why my oil "stash" is on the shelves at Walmart.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

If you're moving you have to have at least 50 boxes, right? Just randomly place 1 qt in each case.. It'll be annoying when you unpack but at least you brought it..

What is the moving company's reason, engine oil is not flammable?

You said they are transporting your cars as well, did they have you drain the crankcase out on each car before transporting?

Idiotic.

it's that important to you?

I agree, leave it behind...let the vultures go through it at $1 a quart.

Or if you have any friends who could use it, schedule a clearance day.
I'm sure you have other stuff too that you're not going to take that others can use...

Originally Posted By: stchman

You said they are transporting your cars as well, did they have you drain the crankcase out on each car before transporting?

Idiotic.

If the OP reaaaaalllly wanted it, they can do it.
But they're not going to do it for free; cause motor oil is categorized differently then a standard move.

Because it's paid by the company reloc, they're not going to 3x cost to transport your precious oil.

Maybe they've had cases before when the oil leaks, and made a mess, and got into a suit with the customer.

Van service is a private company, they can make whatever rules they want to run their business and refuse service or charge extra for different services.

If it comes to it, OP can box up all his precious oil and UPS it to himself separate from the vanline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

Idiotic.

But they're not going to do it for free; cause motor oil is categorized differently then a standard move.

Maybe they've had cases before when the oil leaks, and made a mess, and got into a suit with the customer.

Van service is a private company, they can make whatever rules they want to run their business and refuse service or charge extra for different services.

If it comes to it, OP can box up all his precious oil and UPS it to himself separate from the vanline.

I would stash it in the trunk of the cars they are going to move for him.

Idiotic.

I would stash it in the trunk of the cars they are going to move for him.

When I shipped a car the carrier told me they had to look in the trunk and inside the car for "household goods".

They are not licensed to transport household goods so people can't put a bunch of stuff in the trunk. I think it is an insurance thing also. Maybe also a weight thing.

Pack it into a cardboard box yourself, tape it up and write "Camping Gear" or "Bedding" or something like that on the box. They won't open it and double check.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Thus why my oil "stash" is on the shelves at Walmart.

Exactly.

I don't see the value in having money tied up in motor oil. A 5qt jug on the shelf is plenty enough for me to stash.

Last edited:
As someone who likes to keep things on the up and up;

I secretly wish that if you happen to pull shenanigans as suggested above, your oil leaks during the trip and gets all over all your stuff.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
If you can't transport it to your new digs, you have two options:

1) Pre-move yard sale. It's a good time to hit the reset button and clear out the stuff you don't want to see at your new home. Include the oil in the sale.

2) Donate it to a church or other charity that provides oil changes free for the aged or needy. Take it off on your taxes.

This!

Donate it, get money back from the government, win win.

As someone who likes to keep things on the up and up;

I secretly wish that if you happen to pull shenanigans as suggested above, your oil leaks during the trip and gets all over all your stuff.

Isn't it amazing on this forum about how getting cheap oil is a "badge of honor" and then when it gets in the way it's a hassle?

No disrespect intended to the OP, However no needs a 50 quart stash unless they have a whole fleet of vehicles they are servicing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Box it up and ship it.

^ What he said. Since the moving company is shipping your cars too, that is your only option.

I wouldn't conceal it - murphy's law says a couple quarts will get broken open, ruin your possessions and you'll be charged with a hazardous material clean up fee! Watch the shipping carriers too, motor oil might be considered hazardous material. I'd be shocked if it weren't.

My company just sent out an email that UPS fined us again for shipping hazardous materials and to please email if we have any uncertainty if we're shipping anything potentially hazardous.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Box it up and ship it.

^ What he said. Since the moving company is shipping your cars too, that is your only option.

His other option(s) are to sell it for cheap to friends, give it to friends, or donate it and take the write off.

Shipping it under any circumstances is foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back