Changing from 10w40 to Hydraulic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an articulated machine that uses 10w40 for "hydraulic fluid". The machine uses a variable displacement pump to drive four wheel motors and various hydraulic cylinders. The manufacturer specifies 10w40 for the 10 gallon hydraulic system. I was talking to an engineer at the company that manufactures the variable displacement pump and he strongly recommended the use of hydraulic fluid, instead of motor oil, due to the additives package.

So, here's my question. Will it "hurt" to mix the motor oil with hydraulic fluid? I was thinking of draining the hydraulic tank and adding back 10 gallons of Mobile DTE 26 (ISO 68). However, I'd still have at least a gallon or two of motor oil in the motors, lines and cylinders. Any idea if motor oil will mix with proper hydraulic fluid without causing any problems?

A lot of things can use various engine oils or hydraulic fluid oe transmission fluid. Even in the case of some transmissions, hydraulic fluid works the best

So, you don't think it would hurt if some mixing occurs? I have no issue with swapping the oils.

However, I'm mostly concerned about mixing them since I can't fully purge the system. For example, I know some oil have different PH balances and mixing them will introduce salt and water to the mixture.

Contact the manufacturer of the articulated equipment and ask them why a 10w40 motor oil is being used as a hydraulic fluid!!!

Motor oil has a pretty good additive package. We don't see oil pumps dropping like flies.

The manufacturer said it was strictly for convenience (i.e., motor oil is available everywhere).

my ingersoll rider's all run and spec motor oil; 5w-20 in winter, 20w-40 in the summer. I never messed with any of them. I have a 444 model I might try tractor fluid in. I will touch base here after conversion of this tractor,

-harvey

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Contact the manufacturer of the articulated equipment and ask them why a 10w40 motor oil is being used as a hydraulic fluid!!!

Motor oil has a pretty good additive package. We don't see oil pumps dropping like flies.
This !

Originally Posted By: Donald
Sounds similar to a Bobcat. You can use tractor and hydraulic oil. TSC carries it.

I use the Premium UTF from TSC in hydraulic applications. I think it is like 20 weight oil?

hydraulic fluid is the best for hydraulic systems it is that simple. If it were my machine, I would be running a premium hydraulic fluid. I have spent the last ten years in the hydraulics field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back