A/C weak when idling at a traffic light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy's 00 Accord -- A/C doesn't blow warm when idling but it's definitely not that cool. When he starts driving again, it gets noticeably cooler but still not as chilly as it used to get.

The condenser and radiator aren't damaged/dirty and both cooling fans work. Condensation drips underneath the car with the A/C on so it doesn't appear to be a drainage issue. No difference with fresh air or re-circ buttons on. He recently replaced the cabin air filter with an OE Honda one. The compressor seems to cycle on/off more frequently. Could the 15 year old system just require a re-charge?

Last edited:
The system has a leak and that needs to be fixed or you will be right back where you are in a few weeks. Here its illegal to top up a system that has a leak, it must be repaired first

Normal to lose a little R134 from the system through hoses every year. Evacuate & recharge to see how much has been lost

Assuming the cabin air is less than the ambient temp, recirculate should ALWAYS be cooler...

Barrier hoses allow some diffusion. Far less than traditional reinforced rubber hoses, but over 15 years it's likely that the system has lost half of its charge.

There is also some minor diffusion out of the face seal. Again, not a leak, just the imperfection of real-life materials.

You can't tell the refrigerant level from pressure alone. That only works when the system is near-empty of overfilled. Recommended procedure is to empty the system and refill with the specified refrigerant charge and the same amount of oil as came out with the old refrigerant.

Personally, if it hasn't been serviced in over a decade, I would just add a can using a pressure gauge hose. If the pressure doesn't spike, just add the whole can and call it done for another 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info everyone. Although I'm not really a fan, my buddy wants to get one of those DIY R134a cans to top off the system. I'm going to try and convince him to just go to a shop that actually has a set of manifold gauges and can properly look for any leaks. Mikered30- We shined a flashlight throughout the condenser and didn't see much crud or bent fins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Thanks for all the info everyone. Although I'm not really a fan, my buddy wants to get one of those DIY R134a cans to top off the system. I'm going to try and convince him to just go to a shop that actually has a set of manifold gauges and can properly look for any leaks. Mikered30- We shined a flashlight throughout the condenser and didn't see much crud or bent fins.

And would be my reccomendation...

System was down on my beater F150 when I charged it in spring of '13, still cooling just fine... Previous owner stated it would only work for the summer when recharged...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The system has a leak and that needs to be fixed or you will be right back where you are in a few weeks. Here its illegal to top up a system that has a leak, it must be repaired first

If the system hasn't been filled in 15 years and degraded slowly, its probably typical. Sure he can put all kinds of time and money in a 15 year old car or he can just add a can of r134 and be on his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back