What a 500,000 mile NYC Taxi Valvetrain Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got finished looking at a 7/14/15 Jalopnik article. It was posted by a mechanic from the "Just Rolled Into the Shop" garage in NYC.

I was expecting to see a typical Crown Vic powertrain. However, this was a photo of a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid engine, with 500,000 miles on it. I was a bit stunned to see as clean an engine as your dinner plates in the cabinet. No visible wear that I could see. (I'll let someone else link the article and photo, who has more tech savvy than me).

The article and follow up response comments mentioned that the garage uses Motorcraft 5W30 blend for oil changes every three weeks. (No exotic oils here). This is compared to every two weeks for their Crown Vics. Brake repairs occur only once a year for the Hybrid vehicles. Thanks to the hybrid drivetrain for extending the brake like. (Full disclosure - I own a 2010 Fusion Hybrid with 125,000 miles and I am still on the original brake pads. I am getting to the point where they need to be changed, this fall. I am also on the original "lifetime air filter).

The follow up comments from this garage mentioned that this 2008 Escape Hybrid has never had a battery cell or module needing replacement. This is unlike the Camry and Prius Hybrid battery packs in their fleet - which are "burned up and replaced like crazy."

Thought y'all want to know about it.

Here's the image associated with that article...

1340609826304441960.jpg

Those Escape-Fusion hybrids do have a reputation for endurance!
It looks like they sprayed on some brake cleaner or something to get what varnish-gunk might have been on there though. Not sure.

In reality, changing oil every 3 weeks is too often. They could go once a month if using a synthetic likely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Engines last just about forever if you drive them a lot.

I don't think you can compare a taxi regimen that idles for extended periods of time and does most of it's miles in NYC, with the normal daily driver who does mostly Hwy miles.

Thanks a lot guys
Another car I need to buy
frown.gif

I was going to buy a Hybrid Fusion last time..........

Originally Posted By: wemay

I don't think you can compare a taxi regimen that idles for extended periods of time and does most of it's miles in NYC, with the normal daily driver who does mostly Hwy miles.

you are forgetting we are talking about hybrid here. they don't idle much.

Also don't overheat them and change the oil properly with spec'd oil. My findings in car ownership.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: wemay

you are forgetting we are talking about hybrid here. they don't idle much.

Yes, that is true.

Taxi duty cycle is not as harsh for the engine as most make it out to be. Now suspension components and transmission, that's a different story.
Try a soccer mom cycle with a dozen or so of cold starts with short trips with only a jiffy lube type service. That's severe for the engine.

Two questions here:

1) Shouldn't 5W20 be the recommended Motorcraft oil? Looks like the 5W30
version didn't hurt it much. Looks like this is the viscosity to get.

2) I am still a bit confused. Is this 2.3L, 4 cylinder Mazda designed (and built),
or is it Ford designed (and built)?

My 2010, 2.5L is supposed to be the "beefed up," upgraded version of this
one. Guess I'll be looking at 1,000,000 miles on it one day - you suppose?

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Two questions here:
1) Shouldn't 5W20 be the recommended Motorcraft oil? Looks like the 5W30
version didn't hurt it much. Looks like this is the viscosity to get.

I've found most if not all engines spec'ed to a 20 oil is spec'ed to a 30 oil somewhere else in the world (ie, , U.S. vs. Euro) and either will do.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
2) I am still a bit confused. Is this 2.3L, 4 cylinder Mazda designed (and built),
or is it Ford designed (and built)?

Mazda "L" engine family there.

Engines in hybrid vehicles should last longer simply because they're not running 100% of the time the vehicle is being used. This equates to far less wear.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Engines in hybrid vehicles should last longer simply because they're not running 100% of the time the vehicle is being used. This equates to far less wear.

Surprising that all those start-ups doesn't wear everything down to a nub. Doesn't seem to happen.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: maximus

Surprising that all those start-ups doesn't wear everything down to a nub. Doesn't seem to happen.

Because 99.9% of the start ups and shut downs are when the engine has reached operating temperature.

It's like dying at 300 years old. It's bad news, but good news you made it that long.

Ford made it plain and clear when it switched to 5/20 that it was purely for fuel economy purposes.

They are not Toyota, who claims that 5/30 is a detriment.

Oil changes every 3 weeks?
No wonder it looks like that and on top of it, its a hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back