2015 F350 6.2L Gas Break In- Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just asking for opinions and not a serious issue.
Ford says the 6.2L requires a 1000 mile break in.
Ok- got that
smile.gif

For the sake of a discussion the truck does not have 1000 miles on
it. However the hour meter says it has 21 hours of total use on it.
Hilly terrain and responsible driving. Not babied but not driven real hard.

For the sake of switching to synthetic oil in the 5w-20 range (Castrol Mag)
and Fram Ultra I believe the engine with 21 operating hours is broke in.

I would think it is. Am I wrong? Of course the word out there is the axle needs broken
in for towing and the engine itself as new is ready to roll.

Thanks All!

How many miles does it have anyways?

It really is a tough call to make IMO. 21 hours vs. 1000 miles are 2 different things.

You're right on that.
I was holding back but 575 miles
Not idling a bunch but rural town driving. All trips over 10 miles. A bunch of 1500-1700 RPM work with a max of 3500 RPM a few times going up hills. Thanks

Constant RPM changes from the hills. Which is ideal for a break in.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How many miles does it have anyways?

It really is a tough call to make IMO. 21 hours vs. 1000 miles are 2 different things.

Do some mild engine braking as well, to better seat the rings - manual or low on trans selector.

I am a fan of changing out earlier than later - but after 1000 and before 5000 miles.

We changed factory fill on both of our 6.2Ls at 5,000 miles. No issues, one is at 70,000 miles & the other is at 135,000. The 6.2L is solid, enjoy your truck.

There is nothing to state that changing the oil at 1000 miles is a good thing or a bad thing. If you contacted Ford, I am sure they would tell you to use the oil life monitor and nothing else.

With this being said, whenever I get a new vehicle I change the oil out at 1000 miles and them the manufacturer's recommendation.

The choice is yours.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There is no reason to do any more than the minimum maintenance.

I agree, if you believe you are going to buy another one in 3 or 4 years and trade this one off at 50-60k miles then i wouldn't waste good oil by dumping it at 1k. Run it at least 3-5k and then run your synthetic every 7.5k after that.

This way you are still maintaining the vehicle very well, but you aren't wasting money. Anyone will still be more than happy with the maintenance as a 2nd owner. I know i would be satisfied with that level of maintenance.

Every time i buy a new car i want to go crazy with the maintenance as well, but i have to remember that i usually get tired of them every couple years, so i should maintain them well, but not go overboard and waste money.

Last edited:
donnyj08
Same here
I get bored quick too.
This oil bit can get anal
You change the oil and somebody brags up oil #2 and
you change it again in 300 miles.
I'm too old for that these days
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back