F1 - 2015 Hungarian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gofast182
Maybe a coincidence but the most exciting races so far have not been on Tilke-designed circuits.

I noticed that a long time ago, he pretty much ruined a couple perfectly fine tracks with his designs. I wish they had never gotten rid of the bus-stop chicane at Spa.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Maybe a coincidence but the most exciting races so far have not been on Tilke-designed circuits.

I noticed that a long time ago, he pretty much ruined a couple perfectly fine tracks with his designs. I wish they had never gotten rid of the bus-stop chicane at Spa.

I'll drink to that!

/quote]
With all the young talent out there I can't believe he still has a drive. [/quote]

PDVSA is the Venezuelan oil company. Maldanado is a pay-driver. If what I have read in the British press is true his "sponsor" pays Lotus between $20-30M for him to drive. What part in addition, if indeed they do, pay to be the team sponsor as well, I have no idea.

Venezuela is a basket case economically. Cuban technicians run much of the country from behind the scenes including the security apparatus. They need heroes even if the money could be better spent investing in PDVSA's technology base for greater productivity. Pastor was a favorite of President Chavez and President Maduro has continued that support. The situation there is explosive to say the least.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Venezuela is a basket case economically. Cuban technicians run much of the country from behind the scenes including the security apparatus. They need heroes even if the money could be better spent investing in PDVSA's technology base for greater productivity. Pastor was a favorite of President Chavez and President Maduro has continued that support. The situation there is explosive to say the least.

At least when they forced Milka Duno on us she was good to look at. Plus it gave someone for Danica to pass.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Do you get the British feed down under? When Perez got run off the track, only the last bit of what happened was shown, so the commentators didn't know who did it. Coulthard jokingly remarked that Maldonado had just been through there. It turns out he was right and did have a couple comments about Pastor's driving. Force India should look at replacing his front wing with a cow catcher.

That actually made me laugh out loud.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Agreed x10. Having said that Spa is still my favourite circuit on the calendar.

It all seems to be about making the circuit as technical as possible while simultaneously making it safe. Big run off areas make huge mistakes completely forgivable, so the drivers just push it past the limits because there is no recourse. No need to actually understand and skirt the limits of your vehicle. 20 years ago when you exceeded track limits you broke something, now there is no risk. Safe, yes. Boring, [censored] yes.

I still remember watching Senna four wheel power sliding around corners in the wet on the absolute ragged edge of control. Now the most excitement we get is a small back end step out when they get on the power too quick. Oooooo! look at that, he had to correct his line!. Pah..

With all the young talent out there I can't believe he still has a drive.

It's no secret that the primary reason he has his seat is the amount of Venezuelan oil money he brings with him, as DeepFriar notes. And I bet the sponsorship deal with Lotus itself is a lot more than what they pay him to drive.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Which part, Coulthard's uncanny guess or my proposal for a new front end design for Pastor?
wink.gif
Maybe Bernie could let him drive a Euclid truck, and he'd win the driver's championship.

With all the young talent out there I can't believe he still has a drive.

It's no secret that the primary reason he has his seat is the amount of Venezuelan oil money he brings with him, as DeepFriar notes. And I bet the sponsorship deal with Lotus itself is a lot more than what they pay him to drive.

The reality is he is actually a pretty good driver, but in a field who represent some of the best of the best he's a long way down the field. Unfortunately those lower teams often rely on the $$ the drivers bring with them, so it's very much pay to play. We all thought he'd be out after the change of government but perhaps they see him as good publicity.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

Which part, Coulthard's uncanny guess or my proposal for a new front end design for Pastor?
wink.gif
Maybe Bernie could let him drive a Euclid truck, and he'd win the driver's championship.

No, your observation. I was watching the Sky broadcast, and it was obvious enough what had happened before it was spelled out.

2 years ago it was all about Grosjean ramming people off the start or getting loose in corners and taking out others. He got it together though..

Grosjean has really matured, and I really think highly of him. He can definitely go places! As for Pastor, yes, everyone is a little hard on him. Heck, what would happen if he were in a really competitive car and always near the front? Maybe he wouldn't crash into anyone if everyone had to get out of his way from blue flags.
wink.gif

I go think Maldonado has had a bad run in the Lotus from a mechanical standpoint. The problem when you have that reputation is people expect it, and even when stuff happens that's actually not his fault he gets the blame until the analysis is over with, but by that time it's too late. He's just tarred with another incident. He was less crash happy in the Williams, but he just wasn't that quick.

I like Grosjean and it'd be nice to see him in a competitive car.

I just wish Renault & Honda would get their act together. Have to feel so sorry for Button and Alonso at the moment.

Alonso finished 5th, and Button 8th, so McLaren-Honda is climbing out of their hole. But the Hungaroring puts less emphasis on power, so they may be at the back again when they go to Spa in a month.

With even less testing next year I wonder if McClaren-Honda is going to make much developmental progress. The rules in that regard have gone from bad to worse.

And speaking of engines, I told my wife at the end of the race that the yellow shirted Renault guys were probably the happiest people at the track.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Alonso finished 5th, and Button 8th, so McLaren-Honda is climbing out of their hole. But the Hungaroring puts less emphasis on power, so they may be at the back again when they go to Spa in a month.

I'm just impressed they both finished the race.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

It will be interesting to see. Several reports indicate they will be spending tokens to increase power output and that engine will debut at Spa. That boost could keep them around 8th, 9th on circuits like that and maybe a real 5th (not through attrition) on circuits like the Hungaroring. Factor in some attrition and they may well have a [low] podium finish before the season is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back