MMO Added To Oil : Go up a Oil Grade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When adding up to the recommended 20% MMO to oil - how many go up a grade (i.e. 5W20 to 5W30) ? Just wondering if it is neccesary to use a heavier weight oil when using MMO due to MMO being a thinner weight oil ?

20% MMO in engine oil? You would consider doing this because.....?

How long would you run your engine like that......5 minutes at idle just before draining the oil for an oil change?

You might want to just stick with engine oil. Trust the oil to do its job.

Maybe you could blend the MMO with lucas so as not to thin out the lube...then you can have a double dose of additive subtraction without having to go up a grade.

If I was going to use 20% MMO (for cleaning purposes) I probably would go up a grade and shorten my OCI (by 20%).

I've run a lot of MMO in my old Chevy K1500. A lot of MMO in the 50k miles I've driven her.

She was sludged up pretty bad when I got it. The PCV port was plugged in the throttle body when I got it, and I have no idea how long it had been that way.

There was a lot of crusty black crud under the valve covers. I know that stuff was also in the crankcase as well.

Since my truck was old, and a small block Chevy, I had no problem running 10w40 or even 20w50 in it, along with a quart of MMO. I've also run 5w30 with 20% MMO on board as well.

If you have a verified gunky engine, so out and buy several cheap filters and do several 1,500-2,000 mile OCI's with 20% MMO.

Something else I did to help get rid of the sludge was to drain the oil and fill the crankcase with a 50/50 mix of kerosene and paint thinner. I added 2 quarts over the oil capacity, and let it sit for 2 days. I removed the wire connecting the coil and distributor and cranked the engine over for 10 seconds about a dozen times each day.

The kerosene/paint thinner mixture came out black as coal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Maybe you could blend the MMO with lucas so as not to thin out the lube...then you can have a double dose of additive subtraction without having to go up a grade.

What would half Lucas and half MMO work out to being?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
20% MMO in engine oil? You would consider doing this because.....?

How long would you run your engine like that......5 minutes at idle just before draining the oil for an oil change?

You might want to just stick with engine oil. Trust the oil to do its job.
+1

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
When adding up to the recommended 20% MMO to oil - how many go up a grade (i.e. 5W20 to 5W30) ? Just wondering if it is neccesary to use a heavier weight oil when using MMO due to MMO being a thinner weight oil ?

MMO will hurt the lubricity properties of the motor oil. Why would you add it? Synthetic oil will clean your engine, no need for MMO. Do you know your engine even has sludge?

If you are set on using MMO, yes, go up a grade because it will thin out the oil a bit. I'd recommend Gumout Multi-System (instead of MMO) which has polyether-amine (PEA) which seems to be popular among chemists for cleaning duties.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Something else I did to help get rid of the sludge was to drain the oil and fill the crankcase with a 50/50 mix of kerosene and paint thinner. I added 2 quarts over the oil capacity, and let it sit for 2 days. I removed the wire connecting the coil and distributor and cranked the engine over for 10 seconds about a dozen times each day.

The kerosene/paint thinner mixture came out black as coal.

I'd do that, but would be concerned about a spun journal bearing, or babbit damage, so at least mix in a quart of cheap 10w-40 in there with all that kerosene-thinner!

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

A few oz. of STP oil treatment should be part of the mix.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

A few oz. of STP oil treatment should be part of the mix.

Make sure you add a bottle of Prolong while you're at it, in case all the oil somehow falls out of the engine while you're on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back