NAPA Silver Oil Filter ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad bought a new used truck last night. While looking up misc. parts for the engine I started looking at NAPA's website oil filters. The specs on the Silver oil filter read that the ADBV was nitrile rubber. I then looked up the Silver for my truck engine and it read the same, nitrile rubber ADBV. I could have sworn that members on this board stated that the Silver oil filter had a silicon ADBV??????
confused2.gif

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Filter-Silver-/_/R-SFL31516_0327187232

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The Silver has that combination ADBV and bypass valve all rolled up into one I believe. I won't buy it.

The NAPA/Wix bypass valve at the base of the filter lets the oil that goes into the filter exit on bypass right away without washing over the media as it would if the bypass valve is in the far end of the filter.

Are you stating that you prefer having the bypass valve at the opposite end of the filter away from the drain back valve so that on bypass you have the oil washing over the dirty outside of the element and carrying junk back into the engine? That is what you get with a cheaper filter.

I have used Silvers and Pro Selects for 6K and never had a problem with them.Sometimes simplicity is best.

Quote:
The Silver has that combination ADBV and bypass valve all rolled up into one I believe.....

Some do, some don't. The latter use traditional Wix metal coil spring thread end bypass and separate nitrile adbv. Same for MicroGard and ProSelect.

But afaik, Silver (PS/MicroGard) have always used nitrile, never seen silicone. Have to go to Napa Gold/(Wix) to get silicone adbv.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Some do, some don't. The latter use traditional Wix metal coil spring thread end bypass and separate nitrile adbv. Same for MicroGard and ProSelect.

x2. Almost just have to find the correct filter in the store and take a look yourself.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Are you stating that you prefer having the bypass valve at the opposite end of the filter away from the drain back valve so that on bypass you have the oil washing over the dirty outside of the element and carrying junk back into the engine?

No you got the wrong idea. Wix makes some filters for parts stores like O'Reilly that uses a rubber bypass valve at the base that doubles as an ADBV. It's a big green thing that looks cheesy.

They come in assorted colors.

http://www.wixfilters.com/assets/TechBulletins/WIX/bulletin.wix.protec.combo.valve.final.pdf

The Napa Proselect 27899 that fits my truck has a black one. The Microgard 57899 at O'Reilly has a gray one.

I also don't care for these after taking one 27899 off my truck in vertical mount (didn't perform the ADBV function well) and one 27502 off my wife's Mustang in a horizontal mount that got so cockeyed during use oil spilled from it continuously while removing it and it caused extra drag while unscrewing it.

I have used the combo valve Silvers a lot without issue, many others here report the same. No matter though, not all Silvers use the combo valve and the 31516 you referenced does NOT use a combo it has a Motorcraft style thread end bypass. Nice.

The 31516 Silver has become my favorite partly for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back