Replacement oil filter seals ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing? I sometimes over tighten the filter causing the seal to leak. It sure would be nice to change the seal instead of spending another $12 for a new filter.

How do you dream some of this stuff up? Is it after a night of drinking?

Tighten to 2/3 to 3/4 turn max after the oiled up gasket first contacts the base. No need to go any tighter IMO.

^ I can't tell what 2/3 to 3/4 turn is. . . I just turn it with my hand until it won't turn no more.
21.gif

Eventually, one should learn not to over tighten after spending twelve bucks on new oil filters all the time. Put a mark on the filter, I put a smudge of dirty oil or grease on the end to reference.

Last edited:
TOOL MARKETING OPPORTUNITY

The "Bob is the Oil Guy" Fraction-of-a-circle oil filter tightening gauge.

We'd sell it to members at a discount, of course. Kira

Originally Posted By: dishdude
crackmeup2.gif

Thinking not much of market for topic'd replacement sealing gaskets.

After cleaning gasket/block contact area, following two steps listed in typical filter installation instructions should negate any need.

1.) Add a thin layer of oil to the new gasket.

2.) Tighten filter 2/3-3/4 turn after gasket contact with block.

Never failed me in many decades of diy oil and filter change.

I've never seen a replacement gasket, except for cartridge filters.

For $4 you could use a NAPA/Wix, saving 2/3... (please don't take me too seriously, if you like your filter. I don't want to start a filter war)

I thread the filter on the engine until it makes contact, put a reference mark on it with a sharpie. That makes the 3/4 turn pretty simple. Some filters come with marks already on them. I put mileage and date on my filter as well.

I'm sure somebody makes a tool like a degree wheel for this purpose already for absolute precision.

Never had this problem. A lot of the filters I use have circles numbered 1-4 around the outside to use as a reference, others have a label or some sort of printing that I use as a guide.

If this doesn't work, a sharpie or piece of tape on the filter can be used to make a mark as a guide.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
UFO's whisper things to some.
A good grade of tinfoil in the hat helps.
(Whatever he's on, I want the recipe)

Last edited:
If you can get Merk to use a Fram orange can, see if you can get him to go onto extended OCIs. Also, check to see if he's account's been hacked; if it hasn't, he needs to be committed.

I am assuming its for your WIX XP?

Buy a cheaper Pro Select, remove the gasket and throw away the filter.
grin.gif

Merkava_4 said:
Is there such a thing? I sometimes over tighten the filter causing the seal to leak. It sure would be nice to change the seal instead of spending another $12 for a new filter. [/quote
It's 2015, I did't just read that did I??

Go to an oil change shop and ask about it in person. Maybe they can give you some and have some laughs the rest of their oil changing day. It's like you help them get through the day. The other way is to post great reviews of the Fram Ultra and get in on the free filters. Just throw away and try again until you get the feel of it. If you are a gorilla and think tighter is always better, sort of figure how much your thumb turns. 1/2-1 turn is what you want. Put oil on the gasket maybe that's what's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back