98_V70: Mich. Primacy MXM4 "Chunking"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a long talk with the DT manager late this afternoon. Gave him the full story. I'm ditching Michelins due to high cost and going with another Michelin factory tire, BF Goodrich. Though I may prove to be wrong, I'm quite skeptical that Michelin's are worth the 47.4% increase in price (95 vs. $140), particularly on a 17yr. old sled with 207kmi. Enough is enough.

Could be worse though...my neighbor was complaining that his wife hit a curb or big hole in her new Ford SUV with low profile tires...$500 for a new wheel + $500 for a new tire: $1000!!

Holy Cow Meow...that's just nuts....he was #$%^!!'d to say the least....

I wouldn't get the Michelin even if it were cheaper. I haven't seen BFG tires crack, Michelins have more crack than Whitney Houston did.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I haven't seen BFG tires crack, Michelins have more crack than Whitney Houston did.

lol

There have been reports of Michelin tires cracking across many of their product lines.

But the tires can't be bad....they are Michelin!!!:)

Update:
2015: A Tire Odyssey is finally over. Three new BFG tires installed, so the sled is back on new rubber. Rides noticeably quieter. This weekend will test at sustained highway speed.

Found out that the quoted tire prices were MSRP. I did check with several sources and for these, they were all in line. However, DT said they had a line of Conti's made "exclusively" for them, preventing cross-shopping and price comparison. Far more choices available than the last time I did this.

Update:

Last weekend, I made a round-trip to Houston at sustained high-speed in dry, hot weather and I'm very satisfied with the new BFG's! Much quieter than the old Michelins. Then again the new rubber is far more flexible and supple + new tread helps as well.

I've also driven some of the local twisties. The ride is quiet, smooth, no squeeling nor "pivoting from the back seat" as before. I'm liking these a lot and plan on being timely with rotations & balancing.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I'd have to check the log to be sure, but I think the replacement order was LCA's, alignment, then struts. I was careful to fully push in on the struts while tightening the two bolts.

More to come later...

I still think you need to get an alignment. On a macpherson style strut suspension, your toe is going to be way off after a strut replacement. Your wear issues are going to come back this time if the alignment issues are not resolved.

Dutifully noted! I'm curious to lay it out on the garage floor just for grins, then have it professionally checked. One place I called wanted $100. That's a bit steep. I'm looking for a better deal from a reputable shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back