1000 km tow with Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of an update. This past week we did a 1000km+ trip to Calgary for a horse show. Had the 5 horse loaded along with the truck loaded. Figure 10000 pound trailer weight heading down and 9200 pounds on way back. While mostly just rolling prairie hills we did have the usual short 8% grade at Drumheller and the city proper to navigate. Must say I am still happy with the Ram. It still needs a gear or two up top but the thing tows like a champ. Averaged about 11mpg there and back towing at highway speeds. Very few had to pass me.

In the 25C ambient I managed on a few occasions to get the oil temp to 105C, coolant to 102C and trans to 78C, but usually all were usually a few degrees lower. The trans normally sat around 65C.

the coop SL 80w-140 syn gear oil appeared to be doing its job well, nothing cooked, nothing spewed out of the vent or axle seals. Not bad for 9$ a litre oil and my subjective, non scientific opinion. guess I didn't need the Amsoil....

My Discoverer AT3's rode smooth and quiet and felt great with the heavy weight, so far a great tire. Had then set for about 60psi cold.

Good trip and great to see this awesome country.

Co-op has great,cost effective lubricants. Heck they have a pao hdeo 0w-40 for 28 bucks a jug. Compare that to 50 or 60 for a comparative product and co-op becomes very attractive.
11mpg pulling almost 10000 pounds and the truck didn't get even remotely warm,now that's impressive.
Love the hemi.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
how did you deal with the typical ram soggy butt? or did you?

That's what I was after with the picture request -- 10k on a coil spring 1500 Ram?

sparks_11.gif

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
how did you deal with the typical ram soggy butt? or did you?

That's what I was after with the picture request -- 10k on a coil spring 1500 Ram?

sparks_11.gif

you jest, but its the truth. 10k on a 1/2 ton ram without aftermarket bump stops / air bags is a sorry sight. i just dont get these towing bragging threads.

I will get some pictures soon if I can get it all to work. I found that once we loaded the Ram down with the goose neck the sag was not that bad....er... not as bad as I would have thought. We had much more sag with a bumper pull trailer that weighed 1000 pounds less. Shortly after the purchase of the Ram I bought Firestone coilrite air bags. I run them at about 30psi. The kit also came with larger, progressive jounce bumpers.

overall it sits quite level and is quite stable on the road at any speed. But when we first bought this set up we agreed that this dog and pony show would never see the mountains, it is for the prairies only. On the flat lands it is legal to have two trailers in tow. We can get away with a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back